Bromine question

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
We are going on 5yrs with our hot tub, and last year my wife started to get skin irritations, but only in certain spots of her body. The first thing you would think is that we have bacteria in the tub, but even after draining, and a very deep cleaning, she broke out again with the fresh water. Im curious to if she has developed a reaction to bromine, but we have been using bromine the entire time we have the tub. I was going to drain again and try bleach or liquid chlorine, just to see if it is the bromine is the culprit. I check my levels daily, so im always in the good range with my water levels. Any hot tub owners had this issue by chance? We love our hot tub, and I hate since she doesn't want to get in now because of the reaction she is having...Thanks

What all did you perform as part of the deep cleaning? Did you purge the system with Ahh-Some or a similar product?

If you have a bath tub you could always try drawing a bath and dosing with dichlor. A soak would give you an idea whether the dichlor-bleach method will feel any more comfortable.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Did you do an ahhsome purge when you cleaned it, Hot tubs get a biofilm going in the pipes and ahhsome will take it out.. Home - Ahh-Some

Other than that you can put 2 to 3 pounds of salt from lowes (blue bag) in and see if that helps, it will soften the water and make it much more enjoyable... If that works you can get a salt test kit and a salt water generator and switch over to chlorine.. :)

This one automatically add chlorine when it needs it.. https://smile.amazon.com/ControlOMatic-SmarterSpa-Saltwater-Chlorine-Generation/dp/B0184O0F3K

These you set and run depending on how much you want

Reactions: Mdragger88
What all did you perform as part of the deep cleaning? Did you purge the system with Ahh-Some or a similar product?

If you have a bath tub you could always try drawing a bath and dosing with dichlor. A soak would give you an idea whether the dichlor-bleach method will feel any more comfortable.
Yes, I always use ahh-some when I open up the hot tub in the fall...I actually did two cycles of the ahh-some this year, for I had to replace hot tub cover this year, and a lot of rain water was in the tub, so I assumed sitting all summer, it would have a lot of nasty things in the pipes.

I have never gotten a rash from bromine but when i used a rental tub (on 2 different occasions) it turned my ring black both times 😳 so i have never had the inclination to use anything other than chlorine/swg in my tub.

It may be a heat rash? You could also test that in a 104 degree bath tub, the problem with that is it will not stay at 104 for 30 minutes, it starts losing temp once you stop putting hot water in..

It may be a heat rash? You could also test that in a 104 degree bath tub, the problem with that is it will not stay at 104 for 30 minutes, it starts losing temp once you stop putting hot water in..
Never thought about that...its always under her armpits, right under her breasts, and now behind her knees...it goes away in like a day and half, but very itchy..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.