Bromine pool- Makin sure I'm on the right track :)

desimko

May 11, 2020
Medina Ohio
I live in northeast Ohio. You never talk about preventing algae in BROMINE pools. I have an in ground bromine pool because that's what the pool company installed because it's way less hassle than chlorine. The pool is 17 years old & 27,000 gallons. What should I keep my bromine level at to prevent algae? Should I use shock? Your last article about a algae free pool, suggests no. I'm a bit confused.
Thx
Dave S.

I live in northeast Ohio. You never talk about preventing algae in BROMINE pools. I have an in ground bromine pool because that's what the pool company installed because it's way less hassle than chlorine. The pool is 17 years old & 27,000 gallons. What should I keep my bromine level at to prevent algae? Should I use shock? Your last article about a algae free pool, suggests no. I'm a bit confused.
Thx
Dave S.
I don't know much about Bromine personally, but here's what the wiki has on it:

Dave, you're correct- we don't discuss Bromine on this forum because we are a chlorine based pool forum and have found chlorine is the safest and easiest to use for its excellent sanitation properties and ease of use. Testing is easy so it confirms sanitation.

You say you believe chlorine is a "hassle" but I refute that. In 10 years I've never had algae or cloudy water, and testing takes only about 10 min a week. I use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator to make my chlorine. Sooooo easy and I have gone away for up to 17 days and returned to sparkling clear and sanitized water. I spend no more than $150 max on my pool yearly (and its open all year).

Take a look around TFP, see if you might want to drain and give chlorine a try. :)

Maddie ☮️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.