Broken wire fitting on pump motor

Every pump ought to be installed with unions so it can be disconnected in about a minute. I assume that this isn't true in your case, since it sounds like the pump can't be moved. You could look at this as an opportunity to improve the plumbing as prep for the next time pump work is needed. Depending on the install, adding high temp unions at the pump can be very simple or a bit painful if there aren't straight runs in the right places.

There should be no worries getting a replacement adapter. The pictures look like standard 1/2" liquid tight flex conduit. Should be a bin of the fittings at your local Home Depot / Lowes / Menard's.

Reactions: Ed LaCrosse
I'm baaaaaaack!

The weather has moderated considerably in the last couple weeks, so I'm becoming motivated to fix this problem properly. With that in mind, I went to Home Depot today to pick up a 1/2 inch liquidtight fittiing. Before buying a fitting, I was confronted with a question I could not answer: Is the liquidtight conduit I have "metal" or "non-metal". I can't tell by looking. I'm told by my son-in-law (who is in the construction trade) that the fitting needs to be metal or non-metal according to the type of conduit.

By the way, we had over 6 inches of rain in the past 3-4 days here and the Gorilla tape solution did its job and kept the motor internals and wiring dry.

So, can the experts here advise me? Do I have metal or non-metal conduit?

My SIL agreed to watch over me when I fix this, but he hasn't been available recently to come over and look at things for me. Otherwise I think I could get him to figure it out for me.

Thanks for you continued help and patience.

I'm baaaaaaack!

The weather has moderated considerably in the last couple weeks, so I'm becoming motivated to fix this problem properly. With that in mind, I went to Home Depot today to pick up a 1/2 inch liquidtight fittiing. Before buying a fitting, I was confronted with a question I could not answer: Is the liquidtight conduit I have "metal" or "non-metal". I can't tell by looking. I'm told by my son-in-law (who is in the construction trade) that the fitting needs to be metal or non-metal according to the type of conduit.

By the way, we had over 6 inches of rain in the past 3-4 days here and the Gorilla tape solution did its job and kept the motor internals and wiring dry.

So, can the experts here advise me? Do I have metal or non-metal conduit?

My SIL agreed to watch over me when I fix this, but he hasn't been available recently to come over and look at things for me. Otherwise I think I could get him to figure it out for me.

Thanks for you continued help and patience.
That's non-metallic flex conduit. Interestingly, a fitting for metallic will work, but not the other way.

This is a very common problem, replace it with metal one and then you wont ever have to replace it again. You should be able to find the metal liquidtite fitting a the hardware store.

don't worry about moisture being a problem, the small amount of water will drain out the motor you won't get too much in the conduit.

The fitting is really good for safety, after you replace/fix it.

I work in a place with hundreds of motors, the fittings break.

Reactions: Ed LaCrosse
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.