Broken pipe at In-Line Chlorinator

AWinter6

May 14, 2020
Austin, Texas
Howdy folks - Long time lurker and learner (1 successful SLAM under my belt so far!) here with some hardware problems.

Whilst building a new deck above the pool equipment, we snapped the 2" pipe that connects filter > chlorinator > pipes to jets. Pipe snapped right after* the Chlorinator.

Questions at hand;
- Is this chlorinator salvageable? If not, where does a guy buy a new one? In Austin, TX.
- Do I even need one? I just did a costly drain and refill to combat 200+ CYA after previous owners ran pucks-only for 5+ years. I don't plan on using pucks much unless I'm gone for weeks.....maybe just toss it in a floater?

Any advice helps - holler if I'm missing anything.

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like a good excuse to just scrap it and install an SWG. That's what I did. :) But if your checkbook isn't ready for an SWG, I'd just replace it with some straight PVC for now. No need to keep the chlorinator in there. If you go on vacation later, you can always use a floater if you don't have a SWG.

Only thing I would add is that UV probably made that connection brittle... you might want to check the rest of the PVC at the same time. And then spray paint the pipe when done replacing brittle pieces..

But take the chlorinator out if you are going to use TFP and use the occasional floater if needed. You do have a perfect setup there for a SWCG, but it presently seems like "expensive season" to buy one. I would consider it in the future, it is one less thing to worry about.

To answer your first question, yes it is salvageable. Here is a video on how to remove a PVC pipe from a fitting. The heated hole saw method seems to be the best way.

Reactions: AWinter6
Thanks, compadres. SWCG conversion in the future, for sure.

We salvaged the Chlorinator and just replaced some pipes.....NEW problem is the pump won't run. Just hums and cuts off.

Really hoping the motor didn't take a hit when the boards dropped and caused all this headache. Reading other threads about capacitors and such.

Is there any priming or simple step I'm missing after replacing the pipes?

NEW problem is the pump won't run. Just hums and cuts off.
That sounds like a bad capacitor. Depending on your motor, it may under a "hump" on the casing, or tucked inside behind the back plate. If you have some basic DIY skills, replacing a capacitor is fairly cheap and may get you back up & running. You can also see if the motor just got stuck/frozen. On the back of the motor shaft (either exposed or behind that rear plate) may be a slot for a large screwdriver or a socket. You can try turning that a coupe times in case it helps break it free. But I suspect it may be a bad cap.

Yup! Impeller spun freely so I checked capacitor on the top hump part. Quick trip to Leslie’s since Lowe’s didn’t carry em, and got a $30 new one.

If you’re reading and wondering what a bad capacitor looks like, here’s mine.

Back up and running in time for a hot as heck Saturday. Thanks, Y’all!

Attachments

• 0E1AD008-8225-4710-A9F8-6B0F7CBD9F6B.jpeg
    0E1AD008-8225-4710-A9F8-6B0F7CBD9F6B.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.