Broken Lateral(s)

What brand filter do you have?

I've looked at both Pentair (Sta-Rite) and Hayward multiport valves and both show the pump discharge going into the top left connection and the return coming from the lower right connection.

It is a Titan Series ~ AC 247IGSM
I have been able to find very little information about this filter online and the "manual" that came with it isn't much of a manual.

The pool installer actually put the spa tubing on so that there would be no confusion: stating when things get hooked up after winter that is where most people make a mistake so he said leave the spa tubing connected to the filter through the winter, unclamp it from the pump and store the pump indoors. Explaining when it comes time to open I will only have to connect the spa tubing to the pump and the two hoses to the pool ~ one to the pump from the skimmer the other from the filter to the return. He said him "plumbing" in that manner meant we wouldn't hookup incorrectly this year.

Now I can say this. The pool store, (not the installer he was an independent) started me on Pristine Blue, I switched to BBB when daughter's hair went green and the pool didn't sparkle as out inground did. Last year and I attributed this to switching ~ I never did have sparkling water. I had improved water but I never felt that filter was cleaning the water. But I felt the filter wasn't cleaning the water as thoroughly as it should because I had metals and sequesterant in the water. This season though I expect sparkle.

Is it possible for both seasons that spa tubing was placed on the wrong connection? I just blindly accepted what pool installer said as gospel because I could find nothing in the manual or online.

Well I can easily switch those tonight.
With that though ~ this has ran like that now all last season, and now for a couple weeks this season, has that broken the the multiport?
Or let's say they are correct as they are right now and I do swap them, power back up ~ will that break the multiport?

It won't hurt the valve, but I'd like to be as sure as we can before switching them.

Is there any markings on the valve body that might indicate the port designations?

I couldn't find much on it either. It appears to have been made by American Products but I can't find a manual on it.

No markings, and nothing in the manual other than "Attachment of filter to pump and return lines will vary based upon set-up of your existing plumbing".

I am unable to find a better manual online & I even called the pool store when I received this manual and said ~ this really isn't a user manual, it's a a parts reorder reference and a pictorial on how to load the sand in the cylinder, do you have anything or can you direct me to a link that is specific to this filter? They could not.

I am pretty much at a standstill. My water isn't clearing. Now I did grow up with an inground pool so I am used to taking off a cover and getting the water ready for the season. I am a fairly patient person, but I know based on the condition of my water this season it should not be taking as long as it has to clear. Which I am sure the majority of people feel the process isn't quick enough, but if a person would have seen the water I started with I do think they would agree it should have cleaned up quickly. I have not powered the filter off only to backwash since the new water was delivered I believe on the 16th. I have gone through 8 cases of clorox and I didn't have a swamp, 7000 gallons new water this year now I did have some debris but it really wasn't in bad shape when I started this. I fully believe I have a filtering issue.

I have taken the multiport apart several times, inspected it ~ spider gasket looks brand new, there are no obstructions. I have lubed everything, put it all back together, no leaks. I am very diligent about testing (have the good kit), I did limp a bit when I spilled reagent, but I kept the water in shock level, and have maintained shock level at least 95% of the time since the cya was added to the water.

I think I need to change the spa tubing with the pool hose ~ it certainly can't hurt, because if that isn't "it" ~ there has to be a problem with the filtering. I just am hoping if this has been my problem the filter wasn't damaged by the incorrect hookup or if it is correct as it sits I don't do further damage. But I fully believe this filter is not filtering as it should so I really have nothing to lose. Everyone who has looked has said I need to rethink how I am treating the water it's at a standstill. I know BBB will work and it's not the reason the water is murky. If it isn't what I am putting in the pool it has to be what is filtering the pool.

Any updates?

Have you checked the sand level in the filter? My sand filter would push dirt back through the returns when the sand level was low (long story, but I dont think the installer put the correct amount in). I know its rated for a certain WEIGHT of sand but there may also be a certain level that should be reached in the tank....in my case the weight rating wasnt even close to the level Hayward specs out.

I ran my multiport backwards accidentally and got water that wouldnt clear up.....the previous posters are correct in that the lower right hand port on a Hayward multiport is the return to the pool.....I know you said Titan filter but that looks very similar to a Hayward multiport valve.

Finally, the only other time I had water that wouldnt clear up was when I had an underground plumbing leak. Probably doesnt apply to you, but something to check for (are you losing water?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am definitely convinced I do need to switch it ~ it can't hurt at this point, because if it's not that, I am getting someone in to look at the filter.
The only thing that makes me apprehensive to try it is the fact I didn't make that connection, nor did anyone in the family, it was connected by the installer who I would think surely would know how to plumb it.

I am at the office now and with the way this day is unfolding it will be this evening before I swap them and try it.

I am going to be so :rant: if that was hooked up incorrectly, by a well paid professional. I could have hooked it up wrong for free, lol. But if this fixes it it will be bliss because I have been fighting the water since this thing has been installed.

Tonight should tell something, I will post as soon as I swap.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated

See if you can get ANY more information in regards to part numbers, etc. Any numbering on the multiport, the tank, etc. Googling didnt find very much about Titan filters, it makes me wonder if they really are re-labelled Hayward stuff.

Also look hard on the multiport, I know inlet and outlet on mine are actually labelled but its embossed into the plastic so its hard to see (since its the same color as the multiport valve itself)

chrisexv6 said:
... Googling didnt find very much about Titan filters,....
Boy, howdy, you ain't kidding!

It appears from the model # that this is a 24.7 inch filter for an in-ground pool w/ a side-mount multivalve (247IGSM).

Currently, Zodiac Australia is marketing Titan series sand filters, but the model #'s are all different.

The manual I found online turned out to be for the Titan above ground (AG) filters, sorta like yours.

Good luck!

I couldn't get the link to open for that manual, but I know my page 10 is different. I am going to check in person and see if it is stamped. I had a picture we blew up and saw nothing, but there could be something stamped on it at home. I never had to monkey with it so I didn't inspect it closely.

All of the reorder parts numbers I have googled, binged and yahooed trying to get a hit that would lead me to information about the actual unit itself. I honestly feel it's a relabeled Hayward, but I don't actually know for certain so I had been trying to find anything I could about it, I have since given up. Not sure what will happen if I do need parts, I guess I will have to call the store or see if I can get a manual for comparable Side Mount Hayward and see if the parts are the same. There is not a telephone number, address, email address or anything in this manual I have so there is no way for me to order the parts they list. None of the numbers in the book for any of the filters (3 Top Mounts / 1 Side Mount) or Parts Numbers for all 4 models bring up any information. It's been a bust for this turkey finding anything out. The guy who installed it hooked it up, made that spa hose connection told me to leave it attached in the winter after I drained it, hooked up the other 2 hoses, said remove them and wrap them around the unit and take the pump indoors over the winter. That was the learning session on using the filter. Which I am guessing if he hooked the spa hose up incorrectly to begin with, he probably didn't have too much to teach me anyways...

This weekend I am going to drive to the pool store with manual inhand and get some answers. On the phone it's pretty easy for them to dismiss me with they have no information, yadda yadda, yadda, in person though it will be more difficult especially when I take up residence in one of their hot tubs on the showroom floor and say I am not leaving until I have information that will allow me to troubleshoot and learn the operations of the pump they sold me. I do want to know how to order laterals if I need them, O-Rings, etc. ~ they literally told me nothing.

:party: We got Action Boys & Girls :party:

:cheers: :whoot: :cheers:

The dang spa hose was hooked up incorrectly! I am so ticked & happy all at once!
I have action now.

I can vacuum for more than about 3 minutes.
I have proper backwash ability
It rinses correctly
The water has cleared nicely just this evening alone!

Now I still don't have a manual, but it is finally functioning properly.
Everyone is amazed ~ because it had cleared some before ~even hooked up wrong, the difference though just tonight has been awesome and very noticeable to us. I feel like it should clear pretty quickly at this point now that it's functioning as it should. As much clorox as has been floating in there for 2 weeks I do think we'll zip along from this point.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I was honestly afraid to mess with anything on the filter not having anything to reference or troubleshoot with. Today though I really felt I had nothing to lose because I knew there was a problem ~ the water should have cleared so much sooner. When I switched them and powered up I didn't care if the whole vessel blew sky high ~ I was sick to death of it, knowing it wasn't working. When it started doing it's thing I cheered! So thanks again all. I will keep you posted on clearing progress. Not sure if anyone cares, but it will be nice to finally be able to post about success instead of being stalled :)

You can't imagine how much we care, or how glad I am that it got figured out and that it hopefully fixed the problem.

Sometimes it just takes a few more eyes looking at things to see what the problem really is. :goodjob:

Now, on with the clearing! :party:

Yep ~ Bama gave me the courage to swap out those hoses with no manual.

Honest to Pete, when I did it I thought: I hope this :rant: blows to smithereens ~ because I knew it wasn't working.
When it worked ~ I literally cheered, like a big nerd, in my yard ~ it was fun!
I am so very thankful ~ there are really no words!

I will bet you last year we could have had the sparkle I was looking for, but I attributed that to the initial and only dose of Pristine Blue.

I cannot explain how the water cleared some this year, guessing just keeping it at shock level even without proper filtration helps.
And last year we looked superb if you consider we had a non-functioning filter.
Guessing I could sweep last year because it was a fresh fill and I had no debris, over the winter we collected debris so that made the vac problem appear.
Backwash still has me stumped... I had backwash pressure it came out with what I thought was force last year, but now that I see it's actual backwash spray I didn't have the force. Now we BackWash! Capital B with Pressure. Nightcrawlers popped out of the ground last night like you can't imagine! When I saw them I knew we were in business. I also knew I had decent Chlorine levels :shock: bodies everywhere!

Seriously I do thank you, it was frustrating knowing there was a problem, knowing I was being patient and diligent about my testing and not seeing results when I knew if everything was correct I had to see results.

Word of advice to those with pool equipment... make sure you have a proper manual. I knew what they gave me was garbage, I should have insisted on something that I could use to troubleshoot. What they gave me wouldn't even be a good start for a fire. I dropped the ball on that and it almost toppled me. Had it not been for this forum I would have had several hundred more dollars out of pocket in Clorox and service calls. So I really do thank you all and I will post when it clears ~ which can't be soon enough. This is the first day ever I have come to work and knowing without a doubt everything is finally coming together and working as it should at home. Awesome Feeling ~ thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.