Bringing ledger down into water - bad idea?

Schneida

May 10, 2023
Houston
I’ve seen some PB bringing ledger or split face stone down into the water, interrupting the waterline tile. I honestly prefer the look of this rather than the waterline tile running below it but wondering if it would be a maintenance nightmare?

My PB said they could do it but expressed concerns about algae etc. Maybe they are sealing it? Attaching a few pictures. Would love any insight on doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 65
I’ve seen some PB bringing ledger or split face stone down into the water, interrupting the waterline tile. I honestly prefer the look of this rather than the waterline tile running below it but wondering if it would be a maintenance nightmare?

My PB said they could do it but expressed concerns about algae etc. Maybe they are sealing it? Attaching a few pictures. Would love any insight on doing this.
Sealed stone eventually becomes unsealed stone. There’s a reason tile is used at the waterline and not plaster/stone.

I like the look. I would look into a manufactured stone, or something synthetic with a glaze like tile.

Reactions: Schneida
I like the look of both of them. The main reason is the very rough finish on the stone will make it a cleaning nightmare. With a flat, smooth surface all you may have to do is wipe it off. The stone will require a good, stiff brush to get into all of the nooks and crannies.

Reactions: RLP and Schneida

Waterline tile will add a pop to your pool. I wouldn't build a pool without it.

I have travertine split-face to below tile line on face of spa and on fountain. I've often wondered about the long term stuff, maintenance, etc.... but, the only cleaning and scale removing I've had to do has always been on the tile. The stone stays pristine.

I have travertine split-face to below tile line on face of spa and on fountain. I've often wondered about the long term stuff, maintenance, etc.... but, the only cleaning and scale removing I've had to do has always been on the tile. The stone stays pristine.
Thanks for sharing. How long have you had your pool and would you mind sharing a picture?

Thanks for sharing. How long have you had your pool and would you mind sharing a picture?
I'll try to scrounge one up when home. Second year coming up. I've had some light calcium form on tile that required removal but none on stone, so far. Now, it's lighter color, silver, but no line like on tile that ever seen. I do brush with tile. I've never had a hint of any algae so far, pool or otherwise, thanks to TFP, advice, methodology. So, I really can't attest to what will or will not be in years to come, but so far I've not come across another person, live or internet, that caused me to regret, yet. But, at the same time, I know it's natural stone, in water, so there's nothing majical about it staying as is either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have Turkish lime stone that goes below the water line. It looks nice. It's a pain to keep clean. I have one stagnent corner that all the floating gunk gets blown and then ends up on the stone and makes a hard to clean mess. I wouldn't do it again if I had to. I have started considering removing a 6 in section a replacing it with the waterline tile elsewhere on the pool.

My pool builder did this as a standard and I didn't know any better at the time. I vote no, don't do it.

Attachments

• 20230514_195941.jpg
    20230514_195941.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 31
When you do choose a tile you don’t want to go neutral on the color. Again you want it to pop! I finished my pool last month here’s a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6788.jpeg
    IMG_6788.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 40
I have Turkish lime stone that goes below the water line. It looks nice. It's a pain to keep clean. I have one stagnent corner that all the floating gunk gets blown and then ends up on the stone and makes a hard to clean mess. I wouldn't do it again if I had to. I have started considering removing a 6 in section a replacing it with the waterline tile elsewhere on the pool.

My pool builder did this as a standard and I didn't know any better at the time. I vote no, don't do it.
Thank you so much for that insight! Is this picture when your pool was first built or now? Just curious to see the buildup

Thank you so much for that insight! Is this picture when your pool was first built or now? Just curious to see the buildup
That was last night. The below is what it looked like just after being installed and after first fill.

Attachments

• 20210822_112806.jpg
    20210822_112806.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210904_194515.jpg
    IMG_20210904_194515.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210520_185824.jpg
    20210520_185824.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210520_190130.jpg
    20210520_190130.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 21
I was initially worried about the boulder shelf for our waterfall extending all the way into the pool water, as I also thought it might be a cleaning nightmare. I figured I'd likely be scrubbing with a dive mask, but I haven't had to clean it yet. It's been almost a year since water was added, including a closing/reopening and with the water balanced, it has stayed spotless! You can see pics of it under my media.

I was initially worried about the boulder shelf for our waterfall extending all the way into the pool water, as I also thought it might be a cleaning nightmare. I figured I'd likely be scrubbing with a dive mask, but I haven't had to clean it yet. It's been almost a year since water was added, including a closing/reopening and with the water balanced, it has stayed spotless! You can see pics of it under my media.
Wow your pool and outdoor space is amazing! Love the coping, landscaping and different areas. Do you have pebblesheen? If so I’d love to know what color. Thanks for the insight on the boulder shelf and how it’s performing in the water.

Wow your pool and outdoor space is amazing! Love the coping, landscaping and different areas. Do you have pebblesheen? If so I’d love to know what color. Thanks for the insight on the boulder shelf and how it’s performing in the water.
Thanks! We're still working on the landscaping, adding a lot of plants, but are very happy with the way it turned out. It is PebbleSheen, and the color is Ocean Blue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.