Bring back taylor test kit from US to EU?

zylinderhut

Aug 3, 2022
Northern Germany
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys,

I have friends visiting the US over the summer and they might be able to bring back a Taylor test kit with them. Do you know whether there are any restrictions regarding the import of the Taylor kit K-2006C? Are the substances forbidden or anything? Obviously I don't want my friends to get into any trouble and I thought maybe one of you might know.
Thanks for your help.
zyl

I'd check the dangerous goods list of the airline.

You can download the reagents' safety data sheets here and check the hazard pictograms:

(Click on "More Info" and "Documents" to get a list of all reagents with SDS).

Some reagents (like R-0011) are classified as flammable, airlines often don't like that. They make exceptions for things like perfumes or aftershave which are probably a lot more flammable than R-0011. But perfume sells much better duty free which clearly justifies an exemption - we all know what rules the world.

If in doubt I'd call the airline and check with them. Tell your friends to remove the restricted reagents from the kit and take the rest (if the kit is still useful then). Print all safety data sheets and give them to your friends so they've got something to show in case of questions.

I assume that they needed to be in checked-in baggage because of cabin liquid restrictions.

Reactions: Newdude
Go to this page:

Enter the reagent number, for example "0009" for the TA reagent R-0009. You will get this document:

All SDS Sheets are required to have a "TRANSPORT INFORMATION" section. In this document that is section 14 (see below). See the DOT and IATA sections, this is a class 8 (corrosive) dangerous good (AKA hazardous material) and is not allowed in passenger bags. You would need to ship this through a proper shipper that can label and handle class 8 corrosives.

Dangerous goods discovered that are improperly packaged, not permitted in baggage, leaking, or hidden/artfully concealed are subject to civil and criminal penalties as appropriate.

1689772217908.png

Reactions: Newdude
If in doubt I'd call the airline and check with them. Tell your friends to remove the restricted reagents from the kit and take the rest (if the kit is still useful then). Print all safety data sheets and give them to your friends so they've got something to show in case of questions.
This is correct. R-0003 is not considered a dangerous good (see below). The Transportation Information section will look like this if you are safe to travel with it. You would need to review all the SDS and print for any that you consider traveling with...

1689772123774.png

Reactions: mgtfp and Newdude
That much gets you through the airport and onto the plane. Then you have to deal with a completely different set of rules regarding the import of chemicals.

Likely, there are duty and tax implications on the import also... :laughblue:

Thank you for all the information, I will check the reagents and then decide.

Unless you can acquire the reagents in your home country, you’ll only benefit from the Taylor kit until you need refills.

True, but one step at a time :) Maybe I should just call the US Embassy and ask them to acquire it 🕵️‍♂️

Hi @zylinderhut

I've looked into importing a K-2006C test kit from the US to the UK and gave up. Several of the reagents are banned for sale to non-commercial entities in the EU which is why none of the FAS-DPD test kits are available. I spent a long time searching (see my thread here UK Pool Test Kits) before giving up.

Reactions: zylinderhut
I've ended up primarily using a PoolLab 2.0 (also have the 1.0) for most of my testing using their tablets. The ranges are limited to 6ppm for FC/CC which causes problems if you have high CYA or need to SLAM. It is possible to dilute the sample but it reduces the accuracy. Someone uploaded a dilution spreadsheet for this purpose but I can't find the link right now.

My Total Alkalinity was also off the scale of the PoolLab so I bought a separate high range alkalinity test kit from a water quality testing company (feedwater, but found other places selling a similar kit).

Finally I couldn't find a source for the liquid Calcium Hardness reagents for the PoolLab in the UK so bought a test kit designed for aquariums which worked well (Salifert Ca Profi Test).

I've also got a Lovibond Pooltester Multipooltester 5 in 1 which I occasionally use to cross check the PH and CYA readings with the PoolLab.

test-kits.jpg

@jokael from Denmark had success importing a K-2009 into the EU, which doesn't have the TA and CH reagents (R-0009 (sulphuric acid) and R-0010 (sodium hydroxide) are corrosive, R-0011 is flammable).

In his thread I recommend aquarium kits for CH and TA, similar to what @jakeblat got, and a potential alternative for R-0007 (sodium thiosulfate) which would require some dilution/experimentation.

Have a read through jokael's thread:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.