Breand new, need help with pentair intelliflo 2 vst please

Jul 21, 2017
randolph nj
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also a new pool owner. I have a fiberglass pool that has been hooked up to a Pentair Intelliflo 2 vst pump/filter. It has been running for a week. The water was pretty clear but in the last 3 days has turned green. There are 2 wood supports in the pool as it is awaiting concrete decking. I have the pump running at 1200 rpm. Not sure what to do to clean the water. ANY advice would be GEATLY appreciated. Please keep in mind I'm brand new and although I was promised training on the pump by the contractor I never received any.

Thanks!

Johnny,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new "Green" pool owners... :snorkle:

Your pump and filter is not what keeps your pool from turning green.. All pools need some type of sanitizer to keep the water fresh and clear.

Most pools use chlorine as a sanitizer. Do you know what you are using as a sanitizer?

I suggest that you read this... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And you should also review our Pool School using the link at the top of this page.

After your reading "homework", I'm sure you will have plenty of questions for us...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim and thanks for the info! I guess this shows just how "green" I am also!
I have the pool Frog model 5400 filtration system. I have seen the water clear a bit but would really like to try vacuuming the pool. I have no idea how to use the system at all as my contractor who was supposed to show me was horrible and never did. I haven't been able to find anything online. Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
John

I had a pool frog chlorinator/mineral system installed on my pool too. After one year it drove my CYA so high I had to drain 1/4 of my water. Using it is fine if you know what it is doing to your water.

Best advice is to get a proper test kit like the TF 100 or Taylor k-2006c, that way you know what is happening in your pool.

Take a picture of your equipment pad and we will do our best to walk you through how to vacuum. If you contractor is like mine, you won't have all the equipment needed, a vacuum, hose, skimmer plate etc. Here is a guide to pool equipment.

It looks like you have a cartridge filter like I do so you don't really need to do much more than plug the vacuum into the skimmer. I started out with a cheap one like this from home depot. You can buy a skimmer basket vacuum plate so you can use the skimmer basket to get some of the larger stuff before it makes it to your pump basket. Make sure to clean both of those when you are done vacuuming. If suction isn't great you can close off the main drain with the valve on the right. One way should be main drain the other direction should shut off the skimmer. Just don't run the pump dry if you can avoid it. I got sick of vacuuming and bought a robot that I toss in a coupe times a week.

If it's going to be a while before you can get in the pool I would suggest reading up on how to chlorinate your pool. It is important to maintain your chlorine and pH levels now.

You risk getting sick or an infection depending on what is in the water. Never get in if you can't see the bottom! The hose should be long enough to vacuum from out of the pool.

I'd add enough liquid chlorine to get the pool to 5ppm each day and get some stabilizer/CYA in there. Add enough to get to 30, put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return jet squeezing it every now and then to help it dissolve faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.