Breakpoint chlorination

Earlier in the week I added 5 bags of burnout from bioguard. Not using anymore. I did see a previous thread where a guy that did the same as me had a similar ph. I've turned my pool slide. Do I correct the ph problem now? My water is crystal clear that is what makes this harder. When the attached hot tub is running it is very irritable to eyes/throat. A couple people have talked about burning eyes.

PH may be the issue... I did see a thing on facebook the last week that said too much Pee in the pool makes peoples eyes burn. I laughed, I am not sure that is true.. but PH should be 7.5 or 7.6. Use Muractic acid to lower it... I need to go buy more myself as mine is getting up to 7.8 again

O. right. CC. This is edited.

Usually, it is CC that causes burning eyes and nasal/throat irritation. Urine causes CCs to elevate in a pool.

Add the 4 gal, brush and test in 10-15 minutes. If you added all that at once it may have made the test invalid. The FAS/DPD test is only good to 50 ppm FC.

Almost out of 0871. Order online won't be here till July 5! No stores around here carry it. Guess I'll have to rely on my bioguard DPD. I've added 20 gallons of liquid chlorine since last night! Is that crazy. My ph and TA need adjusting. Should I do that now?

How are you doing the FAS-DPD chlorine test? What size water sample and what multiplier are you using?

We recommend using 10ml of water so that each drop is 0.5ppm, which is plenty of precision and will save your reagent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jblizzle, are you multiplying by .2 or 2 when you calculate your free chlorine?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I did not write 2 .... I wrote 0.2 ;) But that is only if you use 25ml of water, which is not needed.
Use 10ml of water and multiply by 0.5 (which as we all hopefully realize is dividing by 2 :mrgreen:)

I believe my ph is 7.0. I had to add 7 drops of the base demand to sample to get it to 7.3. I have PH increaser from pool store but have no idea what it's made of? My TA is 100. Should I be adjusting these levels now?

TA is fine.
pH test reads artifically high when FC > 10ppm .... so your pH must be very low.

What does the label on your pH increaser say? I am guessing it is sodium carbonate (soda ash) ... which will tend to raise the TA more than borax would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.