Breaking the ice

KyloRen

May 28, 2020
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello everyone! I hope all is safe and healthy in the midst of all that is happening. With summer in sight, I hope that our pools will keep us busy (in a good way) and entertained while enjoying the company of loved ones at home.

My family moved into our first house last Winter 2019 that came with an above ground pool. It's quite old (built 2010-ish) but well-taken cared of by the previous owner. This is the first pool I've ever owned, and I have no prior experience whatsoever in pool maintenance. Spring 2019 was an interesting time for me learning all about pools. Owning a house for the first time is not cheap, so I did everything by myself instead of paying someone else to open, maintain, and close the pool. Luckily I was able to go through my first pool season with only minor scratches. I mostly struggled with keeping algae off my pool.

My primary sources of information was the Internet and my close friends who are more experienced pool owners. Ironically, I didn't discover TFP last year. I only did this month (May) while reading up in preparation for pool opening.

It was "enlightening" to learn all about the methodology documented in this site. I picked up a lot of useful knowledge in reading the articles and forum discussions in just less than a week.

I just opened my pool 2 days ago and currently I'm still in the middle of my SLAM process. I have followed the procedures and chemicals discussed extensively here, and so far I'm really happy with the results. My pool water is already bluish green; last year it took me almost a week to get to this state (although I think that my proper closing of the pool last fall, as well as covering it during winter also helped). My wallet is happier too because I didn't need to buy expensive pool store products anymore. I only had to get my pool chemicals from Walmart and Canadian Tire.

And now I've decided to register in order to learn more through discussions and also hopefully help others as much as I can. Thank you for this forum and community!

Last edited: