Brand new to pools and could use some pointers

Farmerstan91

Jun 28, 2019
Sw missouri
Im a newbie in every way. New to TFP, New pool owner and will be opening my pool in the next week hopefully with a new liner. Been lurking and learning in the background while it has been raining all june. Previous owner didnt take care of things and left me with nothing. So with the background lurking ive got a new cleaner in the shed and a taylor 2006 test kit on the way. This is a 18k gallon salt pool with a hayward t-15 swg. Aside from getting the chemicals on hand to make adjustments what else do i need to make this startup go smoothly? Maybe i missed it in the pool school but is there a guide on how much to run my pump/swg?

Your biggest factor is how long to run the pump to keep the chlorine levels where you need them. Once you get your kit you can figure your average chlorine loss in 24 hours. Then you can determine the pump time and swg percentage to run. It is easiest to keep the chlorine levels up with liquid chlorine until you get your swg dialed in. As far as pump rpm you can experiment with the lowest rpm that the flow sensor stays closed. The pool math app will help you determine pump run times and swg percentage.

More than anything else, learn to test your water and trust your results.

Need more runtime to generate more chlorine? You need to test to know.
Is it algae, or just too many swimmers depleting the chlorine? You need to test to know.
Why are my eyes burning? You need to test to know.

Second most important is to familiarize yourself with Pool School. There's too much in there to read and retain it all. Just kinda know what's there so you can find it again.

Third is how to use the search function here. Most likely whatever concern you;re having, others have had before you. Look it up before you go to the pool store in desperation and end up broke and in worse shape.

Fourth you've already mastered --- you figured out how to post a question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.