Brand New Pool

2jsmama

May 5, 2022
Sonora, Ca
Hi All!!

Our pool was just filled on Monday, we have never had a pool so we are a bit overwhelmed with the water chemistry...
To start I am using test strips because the reagent test seems confusing, I figure I will take the time this weekend to learn.

The pool builder added a gallon of chlorine and muriatic acid on Tuesday and I filled the chlorinator. I added more chlorine last night and baking soda.

The test this morning is showing
Total Hardness 0
Total Chlorine 10
Free Chlorine 10
pH 7.8
Total Alkalinity 180
CYA 30-50

27,000 Gallon Gunite pool

Is there an inexpensive way to increase the total hardness? I don't want to risk damage to the pool, but hoping to find an alternative to the expensive calcium hardness increaser.

Also what other tips are there for water chemistry that keep you from having to spend on specialty products?

So excited to have our own pool! Looking forward to learning from this forum!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We have to emphasize the need to have a proper test kit. Either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Test strips are horrible, and so is local store testing. Unless someone added stabilizer/conditioner, there's no way you have a CYA of 30-50. The pH will rise quickly and require constant attention as the new plaster continues to cure for several weeks. Can you confirm if any stabilizer/conditioner was added by the builder?

Now that you mention it he did pour some granules in the skimmer
Ha ha. Okay, pouring granular stabilizer down the skimmer is another discussion. :poke: The tabs you have in use right now will add some CYA, so for now I would recommend adding 20 ppm worth of stabilizer. Use our PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding) to help. Let the tabs in the inline dissolve and hopefully you'll have your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit soon. Once you get one of those kits, confirm the CYA right away so you know what FC level should be maintained as noted on the FC/CYA Levels to prevent algae.

I don't it was a small (maybe 5lb bucket) and I'd say it was half full
Okay. In your 27K pool, that little bit of stabilizer, combined with a few tabs you have now, is no big deal. I just wanted to make sure by me recommending adding 20 ppm you wouldn't go too high. But I think you'll be good.

What do I do about the Calcium Hardness?
You mentioned in post #1 this is a gunite pool, but I find it very odd there is no calcium already in the water. But again - test strips. Horribly bad for testing. I wouldn't do much of anything else until you have reliable test results. Once you add calcium, just like stabilizer, it's not coming out unless you change water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect your fill water is fairly soft in Sonoma but you need a proper test kit to know. The PB should add the calcium needed to meet the standards dictated by the plaster company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.