Brand new pool

marhault

Jul 17, 2020
Marion, Illinois
I've been soaking in the information around here since we ordered our pool in late April, its now finally installed and is currently filling with water. I've gotten the test kit, I've gotten all the chemicals...I think. So I thought I'd ask before I dig in what is the best procedure for starting the TFP process. I've read a lot about opening pools at the beginning of the season but I don't think that its quite the same for a brand new freshly filled pool, but I could be wrong. Just a quick outline would be great, I'm excited to have a TFP!

My pool info is I have a 24 foot doughboy pool. 52 inches tall. Vinyl liner.

I've also downloaded Pool Math and I was wondering if the subscription was worth it or not?

Hey Marhault and Welcome. It’s pretty simple and my links aren’t working right now, but search for the ‘ABCs of water chemistry’. It will link you to pool school and you’ll be on your way.

The cliff notes for now is you need CYA(stabilizer/ cyanuric acid) and FC (chlorine/bleach/liquid shock) pronto. Use pool math to figure out how much chlorine to get from 0 to 6 PPM and dump it in with the pump running. Then put enough CYA to get from 0 to 30 in a sock and hang it in front of a return (jet). Let it soak and you can squeeze it every once in a while to disperse it faster. I let mine soak for 24 hours and then it’s just mush.

We can worry about PH once the pool has circulated and been sanitized. The calcium test won’t matter in a vinyl pool and TA can often manage itself.

Reactions: marhault
If you add your pool information to your signature, it will help the experts help you...and save typing it each time you have a question. :) settings/signature.

I like the subscription, even though I am not using it at the moment. Teaching my grandson to test and having him write down the information. Too lazy to enter it all 2nd hand lol. I think it is about $8 a year? If you have an issue, it helps the experts look for possible issues and much easier than trying to type in a weeks worth of tests. Easy to forget something. It also helps see any trends or issues yourself.

Hey Marhault and Welcome. It’s pretty simple and my links aren’t working right now, but search for the ‘ABCs of water chemistry’. It will link you to pool school and you’ll be on your way.

The cliff notes for now is you need CYA(stabilizer/ cyanuric acid) and FC (chlorine/bleach/liquid shock) pronto. Use pool math to figure out how much chlorine to get from 0 to 6 PPM and dump it in with the pump running. Then put enough CYA to get from 0 to 30 in a sock and hang it in front of a return (jet). Let it soak and you can squeeze it every once in a while to disperse it faster. I let mine soak for 24 hours and then it’s just mush.

We can worry about PH once the pool has circulated and been sanitized. The calcium test won’t matter in a vinyl pool and TA can often manage itself.
Ok I know I jumped the gun a little because we are all excited about the pool. We currently have about 18 inches of water lol. Our pump and skimmer is getting attached tomorrow. So do I need to throw anything in there right now? Or should I wait until it gets closer to full or at least wait till the pump and skimmer are hooked up.

I'll have to look and see about adding my pool to my signature.

You can always use the old-fashioned PoolMath

Once it's full, fire up the pump and leak check things. If it's all holding, add 3 FC. Then mess around with the sock and the stabilizer. Then grab a sample and test pH. If it's good, you can add kids. If it's off, test TA and decide if you need to raise TA before pH, or just go straight to pH adjustments. Fix that, then add kids. Depending on results, it'll take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to get things balanced and swimmable.

Some day soon, test CH. Not that you will necessarily do anything about it, but so you know what it is.
Wait about 24 hours after the CYA has dissolved before testing it. Or even 48. Just assume it hit the target when calculating your FC dose. I'm sure you'll be testing everything else a lot. More than you need to. Its okay -- we all did when we first got the Jr. Scientist Play Set.

Last edited:
You can always use the old-fashioned PoolMath

Once it's full, fire up the pump and leak check things. If it's all holding, add 3 FC. Then mess around with the sock and the stabilizer. Then grab a sample and test pH. If it's good, you can add kids. If it's off, test TA and decide if you need to raise TA before pH, or just go straight to pH adjustments. Fix that, then add kids. Depending on results, it'll take anywhere from 15 minutes to and hour to get things balanced and swimmable.

Some day soon, test CH. Not that you will necessarily do anything about it, but so you know what it is.
Wait about 24 hours after the CYA has dissolved before testing it. Or even 48. Just assume it hit the target when calculating your FC dose. I'm sure you'll be testing everything else a lot. More than you need to. Its okay -- we all did when we first got the Jr. Scientist Play Set.
Yeah I'll be honest. I got the TF-100 kit...its a little overwhelming looking at. I feel like I'm in chemistry class!

Just follow the laminated card. It cannot be more simple following one step at a time. Add X drops of this. Ok. Count how many drops of that. Ok Poof all done.

If it's good, you can add kids. If it's off, test TA and decide if you need to raise TA before pH, or just go straight to pH adjustments. Fix that, then add kids
Instructions unclear, somehow increased kids. Now have 3 ? But their PH is good.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't find any super accurate information on how many gallons are in my pool. The install guy said 15k gallons but my hand math isn't adding up to that. Is 15k gallons the standard for a 24'x52" pool?
Psst -- down at the bottom of that link I posted there is a volume calculator. Stick a tape measure in and get the depth and let it to the math for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.