Brand New Pool, Fresh Water, instantly Green

Is this going to be a permanent set up? You might think about getting a sand filter instead of your cartridge filter. I have a high iron content in my well , pool always turns green on adding water to it, I run the filter and in about 12-24 hours its perfectly clear with no tint. It works so well actually I fill my hot tub from my pool. When I'm ready to refill my hot tub, I over fill the pool the day before, the sand filter cleans the iron out of the water and then I refill my hot tub, kind of a pain but it works perfect!
I used to try to deal with the iron in the hot tub from the hose, but pretty much nothing would get rid of it till I tried filling from my pool. My paper filters in the hot tub used to look like coffee filters, now they stay clean and white.

Oh interesting! We used this setup between when the pool was filled and when our filter was hooked up-we had no other filter going at the time (new construction). It makes sense perhaps why we haven't had problems since as we have a huge sand filter. 👍

Oh interesting! We used this setup between when the pool was filled and when our filter was hooked up-we had no other filter going at the time (new construction). It makes sense perhaps why we haven't had problems since as we have a huge sand filter. 👍
Yes, the sand filter is the best I've seen at getting the iron out. I have an air injection iron filter for my house, but the sand filter works better. I wish I could rig up a sand filter for my house... But I think the constant filtering through the sand is the key.

Is this going to be a permanent set up? You might think about getting a sand filter instead of your cartridge filter. I have a high iron content in my well , pool always turns green on adding water to it, I run the filter and in about 12-24 hours its perfectly clear with no tint. It works so well actually I fill my hot tub from my pool. When I'm ready to refill my hot tub, I over fill the pool the day before, the sand filter cleans the iron out of the water and then I refill my hot tub, kind of a pain but it works perfect!
I used to try to deal with the iron in the hot tub from the hose, but pretty much nothing would get rid of it till I tried filling from my pool. My paper filters in the hot tub used to look like coffee filters, now they stay clean and white.
Can you link me to a recommendation for a sand filter? I use intex type A filters right now. Would I need a new pump?

Also- here's day 2 of the filter (full progress pic!) WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Attachments

• pooltiomes.jpg
    pooltiomes.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 49
Can you link me to a recommendation for a sand filter? I use intex type A filters right now. Would I need a new pump?

Lots of sand filters on Amazon, ebay, and all the pool sites out there. Match one up with your pool size and you will have to check to see how much of a pump you need.. not sure what you have now.

There are a bunch of them listed here, some even with pumps as a unit. Amazon.com : sand filter for above ground pools

And actually less expensive than I would have thought.

Ah I see one by intex for mid $300s. Not terrible.. but.. wondering if it's worth it or just hooking up the bucket every time I top off...

How often do you replace the sand?
Can you top off with soft water? When you top off, you're not adding a bunch of water in comparison to all your clean water. You may want to see how it goes first before you upgrade your filter, you may not need it.

Can you top off with soft water? When you top off, you're not adding a bunch of water in comparison to all your clean water. You may want to see how it goes first before you upgrade your filter, you may not need it.
I saw some people were using those inline hose filters, they're cheap- $35 on amazon. But the reviews are always mixed. A lot of what I'm reading is that soluble iron won't be filtered out no matter what until you've oxidized it.

Ah I see one by intex for mid $300s. Not terrible.. but.. wondering if it's worth it or just hooking up the bucket every time I top off...

How often do you replace the sand?
5 years now and original sand still working..
If you had the sand filter you dont have to mess with the bucket , just toss the hose in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I add say an inch to top off, my pool goes a little green, run the filter overnight and its gone. And my water is very soft but that has nothing to do with the iron content.

I saw some people were using those inline hose filters, they're cheap- $35 on amazon. But the reviews are always mixed. A lot of what I'm reading is that soluble iron won't be filtered out no matter what until you've oxidized it.
I have used those inline filters of which you speak.. helps a tad but not enough to make a difference.

full

Reactions: FredFredrickson
The fill was nasty, eh?🤢🤮
I opened the bucket to rinse out the polyfil and it was absolutely disgusting. Dark, dark brown splotches of crud all over it.

I tried rinsing it but it was kind of falling apart and getting into the yard while I did it so I made the decision to toss it and use a new bag of polyfil.

The results speak for themselves!

Attachments

• signal-2021-06-30-102518.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-30-102518.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 30
That's a beautiful thing. Another testimony to the effects of using polyfill. Great job. :goodjob:
Very grateful to the community here. Will become a supporting member when I get a chance (side note, for some reason all the links on the sidebar lead me back to the url: /blog/ when I'm logged in, including your "Become a TFP Supporter" link in your signature.)

If I can add a datapoint to the community:

You don't really have to go all out with modifying the bucket with water tight seals for the hose. I just used it upright, poked enough holes in the bottom that it didn't overflow, and poked a hole in the top and let the hose sit there under its own weight.

Since the bucket fills with water, it can sit on a ladder with no support. No bungies or tape required. Very simple setup.

Only catch is to pull it quickly after you stop so iron doesn't drip out.

side note, for some reason all the links on the sidebar lead me back to the url: /blog/ when I'm logged in, including your "Become a TFP Supporter" link in your signature.)
Maybe we can get @Leebo to take a peek at this one. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.