Brand-new Pentair Mastertemp 400 won't ignite

T Man

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2016
NE, Indiana
Installed brand new replacement Mastertemp 400 but it won't ignite

powered up, pad reads 62* water temp. heat is set to highest at 104* as well on easy touch and phone(automation). removed jumper & installed easy touch leads
as blower winds up, I get service heater light that goes out after what seems blower reaches proper rpm, then blinking heating light for a couple minutes. blower stops, service heater light comes on & stays on.
no codes on pad or board under top panel just the LED11 after blower stops
kill the power, do it all over again 5 or 6 times now. thinking air in gas line
gas is on, all valves on pipes as well as heater switch. I even bled the line up to the heater.
water pressure is good. 3hpVS @ 2200 rpm

is there something I've missed? Sorry for another Mastertemp thread but I could not find anything in the search... this heater is brand new, I do have the old heater available to swap parts if needed.

thank you, very frustrated !

Can you show a video of the startup and attempt to ignite?

Is the correct voltage selector plug installed?

The heater usually comes with the 240 volt selector plug installed.

What is the supply voltage?

Your old heater was also having problems as I recall.

You should check out the gas pressure at the gas valve inlet before the heater tries to fire and as it tries to fire.

btw, the old heater issue last summer turned out to be the board. I'm installing the check valve that you suggested between the chlorinator and the heater.
thanks again, your help is truly appreciated!

Can you elaborate on the check valve please. Thanks.

Can you elaborate on the check valve please. Thanks.

If you have a tablet chlorinator after the heater you must have a check valve in between the heater and the chlorinator to prevent acidic water from backflowing into the heater when the pump is off. You will likely find the requirement int he heater installation manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.