Brand new MasterTemp 125 not igniting

DO NOT try to light that heater with a lighter. You should never attempt to light a forced air type heater like that. Think about it, what do you think the air that is blowing out your lighter is mixed with? And you are bent over that hole while trying to light it?

Start by first checking the gas pressure as i suggested earlier. Even though you smell gas through the exhaust, it does not mean that you are getting enough for the correct fuel air mixture. Only after you have confirmed enough water column (gas pressure) is present, should you then move on to the igniter.

Edit: I missed the 2nd page of replies.

The gas valve has been way over tightened. Turn it back to its upright position. Not sure about that valve (as i have never seen it that far laid over before), but I do know that some gas valves will not function on their side. And you cant get to the valve shut off switch with it like that. So whether this is the cause or not, you should stand it back up. Hopefully, the yellow wire is not shorting out at the blower housing. That would definitely have an impact on operation of the heater.

Flame rectification is sensed for AFTER the heater has fired, not before. If i am to understand the problem correctly, this heater is not firing.

Last edited:
Thanks for supporting TFP.

We all learned something from you.

Ok thanks for the help everyone. Called a tech and cost me $200 to find out I BOUGHT A PROPANE UNIT! I feel like an idiot - sorry to waste everyone’s time. That’s what I get for shopping online at 2 am after drinking wine. At least the conversion kit looks fairly easy to install.
Cp,

Thanks for the follow up and the support! Don't feel too bad. You've taught us all a new thing to check for on new heaters. I never did ask for the model and serial number that could have helped. Also, when you do things it's easy to make dumb mistakes. Look at some of my previous posts for classic examples!

The conversion is indeed easy.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.