Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2021
San Martin, CA, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just got a new CalSpa Pacifica PPZ-732L 6 person stand-alone hot tub. :party: L O V I N G I T :party:

But the spa people (I know, I know...) gave us a starter kit that uses the Frog @ease Smartchlor system. I am suspicious of it, given my wonderful experiences here with the TFP crowd helping me fix my pool problems when we first moved in. I know just enough to know that this is a commercial product designed for easy use, but not necessarily the best plan long term.

The first thing I noticed was a STRONG chlorine smell. I thought it would improve/burn off, but it has not. When I take off the cover it is bad (for me anyway). My partner doesn't notice it much. But I'm feeling it in my nose and throat, even when I'm not in the tub, like a chemical burn in my nasal passages.

Where do I start?

Thanks. I've been reading up on that, and I see a lot of references to there being instructions and a video, but I haven't found that. Can you point me at them, perhaps?

Also, I am curious about the associate you've made here between the strong smell and high usage. I thought I read somewhere that a strong smell was due to imbalance of other chemicals, not the chlorine working hard on bad stuff. My pool never smells this strong, even when it's at shock levels. I'd like to understand this as much as I can!

Thanks!!

And then I read this and I think it answered my question. Sorta. I still need to wrap my head around it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.