Brand new Hayward Sand Filter leaking from drain plug

DB4

May 6, 2018
Fresno, ca
Has anyone experienced this? We are so frustrated. Would love to fill it with water, filter media and get it running, but not with the leak! Have hand tightened the cap, thightened it more, but nothing stops the leak. S310S filter.

Thanks for responding. I have read that the Teflon tape will not work in this instance, I do have an email submitted to Hayward, it appears to be a bad seal, but we certainly don’t want to tear it all apart and ship it back.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like what we have is the same as yours. Two parts-white plastic screen in the hole, and the cap which has an
orange gasket maybe fitted in the top of the cap. Sure hope we don’t have to take everything apart and ship it back, not to mention our pool needs cleaning badly.

- - - Updated - - -

Only 2 pieces, a white plastic screen in the hole, and then the cap which has an orange colored gasket(?) on the inside of the cap lid. Seems like it should have an o-ring, but when we look at the exploded view, and replacement parts, no o-ring is on the diagram.

It is a 2 inch hole, so our garden hose washers are too small. We went by a rubber gasket shop, and picked up some closed cell foam to put inside. It stopped the leak, until we ran the prime on the pump, and it was running on full speed. Calling a professional out to check our situation, and Hayward only wants to communicate via email, so cannot talk to anyone there who may have heard of the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Calling a professional out to check our situation, and Hayward only wants to communicate via email, so cannot talk to anyone there who may have heard of the problem.
Gee, that doesn't speak well for their customer service. New filter, relatively simple issue, can't speak to someone, and have to do work-arounds until "they" can get to you? No Bueno. :(

Curious to see what the final result is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I called Hayward again, and the customer service gal (after trying to push me back to the retailer) sent a message to tech support. I received a call the next day, and the tech said that the seller probably damaged the drain plug, although it showed no signs of damage at all. But, he said he would send two styles of caps, old and new. We are not too sure what will happen with pulling the cap off to try a new one, as there is filter glass in the tank. For now, we have a bucket under the cap, and are watering the trees ��. Will post happy outcome, I hope!

So, went to check on our newborn pool filter this am, bucket of water almost full, took mirror and checked underside, but this is of course with the cap on because the filter is running. Steady stream of water coming out the underside of the cap. Seems like more water comes out when the filter starts up, then subsides during the day. I do have photos, and a short video, but do not know yet if I can post them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.