Brand new Hayward heater dead already???

Raypak should be close to the same price if not cheaper than the Hayward. A Raypak will fit very nicely in the same footprint as the Hayward and very little piping needs to be added.
If (or when?) I need to replace this one, I will consider a Raypak. If this lasts ten years, I'd again consider a Hayward. If I have issues soon like I've been reading about, then there's no chance! My entire system is Hayward, but if the heater turns out to be a lemon, and they aren't willing to help out, then I'll never give them another dime.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Here is a great thread that tells the story from a consumers point of view with regards to the Hayward heaters and what he went thru.

Need New Heater Advice needed

I just didn't want people to think I am just biased against them for no real reason.

Paul, as mentioned, I have a H400FDN Hayward Heater.

First, since I have a Hayward Controller and remote, will a Raypak heater work w the Hayward software on the controller & remote ?

Next, is it the boards that are the main problem w the Hayward heaters, or is it something else [too]?

Finally, if the boards are the main problem, what in your opinion is causing the issues? Also, the support I've received from Hayward has been pretty stellar. I have no complaints, but I know regions and offices are run differently across the country.

Thanks,
tstex

Control systems do not care what brand heater is installed. All that it does is send a on/off to the heater. You do NOT have to have a Hayward heater just because you have a Hayward controller.

The boards short out, plane and simple. What causes it? Ask Hayward but I can tell you they won't admit to anything being wrong. I and others have given up on Hayward.

Don't let their "stellar" support fool you. All I can say is what is posted in the thread showed above says it all.

"Don't let their "stellar" support fool you. All I can say is what is posted in the thread showed above says it all. "

Well, I have not had an issue w the heater, so if I do and they will not respond or fix, believe me, I'll spare no prisoners. However, when someone deserves an "at-ta-boy", I give those too to be fair, but the reverse holds true as well...

Re the covers, I am thinking of designing and constructing something that attaches to my garage wall w hinges that is the length of the equipment pad, and that goes out about 6" past the pad in the front w a higher back than front for an incline for water, The front would be supported by aluminum poles that are detachable. Then to remove the cartridges or access the equipment, you'd detach the poles and lift up on the top [moveable by hinges] and "clip" or attach the top to the wall. Once done, reverse the process.

The main thing is keeping the sun off your equipment. Rain or the like does not hurt metals or PVC's, UV is what breaks-down all man-made products.

"Don't let their "stellar" support fool you. All I can say is what is posted in the thread showed above says it all. "

Well, I have not had an issue w the heater, so if I do and they will not respond or fix, believe me, I'll spare no prisoners. However, when someone deserves an "at-ta-boy", I give those too to be fair, but the reverse holds true as well...

Re the covers, I am thinking of designing and constructing something that attaches to my garage wall w hinges that is the length of the equipment pad, and that goes out about 6" past the pad in the front w a higher back than front for an incline for water, The front would be supported by aluminum poles that are detachable. Then to remove the cartridges or access the equipment, you'd detach the poles and lift up on the top [moveable by hinges] and "clip" or attach the top to the wall. Once done, reverse the process.

The main thing is keeping the sun off your equipment. Rain or the like does not hurt metals or PVC's, UV is what breaks-down all man-made products.

I thought about doing something like that, however, HOA allows for shrubs etc, not fencing, do shield pool equipment and AC equipment from view(allowing distance for air flow around equipment pads. I am the poster that tstex and ps0303 refer to. I originally posted this post"CE error Hayward 250 H series pool heater, natural gas" use search under my name Taylor1584, it was in March 2010 I think. Several other forum members, chimed in how they actually fixed the boards with new parts, there are pictures and everything. It looked to be way above my pay grade so I went the dumb route and just kept buying new boards. As ps0303 states these heater are made to be outside just like AC, and covering restricts air flow. So its catch22. Its just bad engineering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.