Bought a home- they drained the pool- what now?

As a follow up to Kim -- I would not add any chemical to raise your pH. IF the TA is 90 -- your pH will rise quite quickly. It is very hard to have a low pH with a TA that high.

Reactions: wireform
Below are new plumbing diagrams. You have a very complex plumbing system and your videos were very helpful. I welcome anyone looking at this to audit what I marked up. I think I have the pipe flow figured out and this gives us a layout to discuss how Jess should startup her pool and operate it.

Here is the legend:

PS1 - Pool Suction 1
PS2 - Pool Suction 2
PS3 - Pool Suction 3
PR1 - Pool Return 1
PR2 - Pool Return 2 (which may be a return to the spa to circulate water over the spillover)
SR - Spa Return
SS - Spa Suction
Waste - Waste line from the MPV used to drain water when MPV set to BACKWASH, RINSE, or WASTE

The Hayward manual for the Variflo MPV on page 4 shows you what each of the MPV handle positions does.

Some observations:
- You have 3 suction lines into the pool pump. One is likely for the skimmers, one is for the main drain, which is which you will need to figure out once you get the pool running. From the fact that the ball valve on PS1 is open my guess is that is the skimmers.
- PS2 valve handle is broken off and we don;t know the position of the valve. It could be to the main drain.
- PS3 valve is CLOSED. It could be any number of things - a suction vacuum line; or another skimmer line; or even connected to the spa.
- I am stumped why there is a valve connecting PS2 to PR1. A suction line to a return. If anyone has ideas have at it.
- There are two returns coming out of the filter - PR1 and PR2. There is a knife valve that looks like it controls if PR2 is open. PR2 may run to the SPA and the knife valve controls the spa spillover running or not when the pool pump is running.
- A waste line comes out the back of the filter. You should follow it and figure out where it dumps the water.
- Then there is a separate spa pump, probably for spa jets with suction line SS and return line SR.
- As others have noted there are some flexible couplings that should be replaced by rigid PVC. Although I suspect they are there for a reason and it may not be easy to align all the hard pipe.
- Absorb what is here and then we can discuss the process for starting the pumps. The question is going to be if anything is leaking once the pump is running.

View attachment 124060

View attachment 124061

View attachment 124062

View attachment 124063
Below are new plumbing diagrams. You have a very complex plumbing system and your videos were very helpful. I welcome anyone looking at this to audit what I marked up. I think I have the pipe flow figured out and this gives us a layout to discuss how Jess should startup her pool and operate it.

Here is the legend:

PS1 - Pool Suction 1
PS2 - Pool Suction 2
PS3 - Pool Suction 3
PR1 - Pool Return 1
PR2 - Pool Return 2 (which may be a return to the spa to circulate water over the spillover)
SR - Spa Return
SS - Spa Suction
Waste - Waste line from the MPV used to drain water when MPV set to BACKWASH, RINSE, or WASTE

The Hayward manual for the Variflo MPV on page 4 shows you what each of the MPV handle positions does.

Some observations:
- You have 3 suction lines into the pool pump. One is likely for the skimmers, one is for the main drain, which is which you will need to figure out once you get the pool running. From the fact that the ball valve on PS1 is open my guess is that is the skimmers.
- PS2 valve handle is broken off and we don;t know the position of the valve. It could be to the main drain.
- PS3 valve is CLOSED. It could be any number of things - a suction vacuum line; or another skimmer line; or even connected to the spa.
- I am stumped why there is a valve connecting PS2 to PR1. A suction line to a return. If anyone has ideas have at it.
- There are two returns coming out of the filter - PR1 and PR2. There is a knife valve that looks like it controls if PR2 is open. PR2 may run to the SPA and the knife valve controls the spa spillover running or not when the pool pump is running.
- A waste line comes out the back of the filter. You should follow it and figure out where it dumps the water.
- Then there is a separate spa pump, probably for spa jets with suction line SS and return line SR.
- As others have noted there are some flexible couplings that should be replaced by rigid PVC. Although I suspect they are there for a reason and it may not be easy to align all the hard pipe.
- Absorb what is here and then we can discuss the process for starting the pumps. The question is going to be if anything is leaking once the pump is running.

View attachment 124060

View attachment 124061

View attachment 124062

View attachment 124063
49E9331E-8907-45B8-A5F5-D9078BA7713D.jpeg95B8DE5F-5A7F-4B34-9580-3F7AAD8885C6.jpegOkay, I thought I may have had everything in the right position and ready to start the pump. Once I turned everything on after 15 seconds or so water started streaming from these 2 points. I have no idea why these are there so I will do some reasearch but I don’t think that’s supposed to happen. Maybe I am supposed to remove the clamps and replace those pieces with plugs. Or perhaps flip them over and reinstall. They are located on pr1 and ps(to filter).

Attachments

• 93DE5CEC-34E2-44B9-8BBC-9C4CC14D0736.jpeg
    93DE5CEC-34E2-44B9-8BBC-9C4CC14D0736.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Those are nozzles where chemicals can be injected. You should find a way to plug them. You can cut a larger OD piece of PVC lengthwise and glue it on top of the hole as a patch. Or cut out the piece with the hole and put some new pieces in.

Reactions: JessBlake
Just a quick reply about the electrical connections going to the timer. The exposed Romex wire going to the timer is not a good thing. It really should be in conduit, preferably PVC. There are unboxed wire splices connected to what appears to be a light transformer. You should really have a qualified electrician look at it, I wouldn't be surprised to see lifted grounds, etc. Very dangerous stuff.

I like the water line tile, we picked the exact tile when we remodeled the pool in our last house. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JessBlake
Ok guys. I researched and saw that a heat pump can be used to heat a pool so I went outside... and I am such a newb! I saw these pipes there when we moved in and had no idea what they were for. Haha. I have the pool filter going and that seems all good. So now I need to figure out how the heat set up works so I’m ready when the time comes. I’m not sure how to turn it on and what the 3 knobs do (on each pipe- in the sections that are black) I assume they operate spa features. On the center pipe it exits back toward the house and goes into the crawl space. I’m assuming that is the return for heated water to the pool.
Also, there is a pipe coming out of the ground behind the heat pump and I believe that is the waste pipe, so that mystery is solved. I’ll take better pictures in daylight.
And as pictured the ends of the pipes coming from the right and the left, are open/not plugged or capped. DFF7643F-51C6-40A7-9A32-154AE3F17E8C.jpeg70DFD97B-6C5C-439A-BC42-33FCFAB03E9E.jpegA67632B4-9C3B-4089-A374-756510846205.jpeg7A7B3F6D-5819-49D4-951C-7977E639C8E0.jpeg540B3485-C45B-4E23-BB84-29ADD04417D3.jpegA67632B4-9C3B-4089-A374-756510846205.jpeg1ED659BF-F5C1-4EF7-97A5-E26743948666.jpeg

That timer looks like a sprinkler system timer. Are you sure that is a heating system and not a sprinkler system for your yard?

That compressor looks like it goes to your house AC system.

The control panel looks like it is for a sprinkler system for your grass.

Those 3 pipes may have connected to a pool heater that is no longer there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.