bottom of new pool liner faded

Just a thought (please see below), but chances are that the liner has faded.

Mangela:

When the sun is beating down on the pool (real strong), it appears that my liner is light and very faded uniformly. As the sun is either coming up or settling in for the night (depending on time), the sides and walls (not floor) look fine and bottom is faded. As the sun is completely down and behind the clouds, but still daylight, the liner does not look faded at all (not too bad, but slightly faded through the years).

Of course, the liner has faded compared to the original, but the fading is uniform across the board.

Question: When did you take these pictures? I would recommend taking pictures at all times during the day, especially early morning and late evening and definitely in between. Then compare to determine what is faded. Thanks!

I would contact the pool builder first and if you know the manufacturer, then also contact them at the same time. Be persistent.

When you add the bleach in front of a return, how long does the pump run before shutting off? I ask this as my steps were removed this morning and where the plastic cups sit on the liner, there is no color change. This tells you that clearly, liquid chlorine is the major contributor. The steps are in there for 5 months a year and the cover is solid. Thank you.

Pump rums for a few hours after ading liquid chlorine. There is no way this is due to chlorine for after couple reasons. First if it was the walls would be faded also and after the water line. Second my chlorine has never been above 5.5 ppm since the build.

Oh yeah. already on it with them. Not really excited to think of replacing the liner already. Since I know they will only pay for the liner and not the install and replacement water.

The water can be placed in a temporary pool and the liner can be installed in less than a day. Now, you are stuck with spending more money and hopefully the quality of the liner is better. Please keep us posted to as the outcome.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey, we have the same liner. You should see how faded the bottom of mine is. Some places there is no color at all. Its where I would sprinkle the shock weekly before coming here and the low circulation area after my steps is real white. I think because the water is so clear there is noting filtering the suns rays. My best guess is the Pool Store way always had some algea floating around to help filter the rays. Still holds water and that's all that counts.

Casey, we have the same liner. You should see how faded the bottom of mine is. Some places there is no color at all. Its where I would sprinkle the shock weekly before coming here and the low circulation area after my steps is real white. I think because the water is so clear there is noting filtering the suns rays. My best guess is the Pool Store way always had some algea floating around to help filter the rays. Still holds water and that's all that counts.

Yep... Powder shock will do that. As long as it holds water.

My doughboy liner is 3 years old and this year the bottom has faded almost white. I have manged pools since 1988 and never seen anything like it. I will be calling doughboy for new liner and help with install. It is above ground extended liner. Glad to see it is not just my pool because I know I was not the cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.