Both pumps suddenly stopped working

jmack549

Dec 1, 2019
georgia
I have two pumps, one for the pool and the other for the hot tub. I was in the pool earlier and the pool pump was running, and my wife asked for me to heat the pool. I went to turn the heater on, but it wouldn't spark. This has been happening for about a week now, but last weekend resetting the electrical fixed it (it's an electronic spark). I flipped the breaker, turned everything back on, and nothing. Now neither the pool pump nor the spa pump will come on. The breaker box is right next to it and I can hear them clicking on, but nothing will turn on. I'm happy to open up the electric box while I wait for someone to come out, but does anyone know specifically what I should be looking for? Seems weird that both pumps would die simultaneously if that's what happened.

Your breakers should not be clicking. The mechanical relays that control the power will click. So it sounds like your have power to the controller but missing power to the pumps. Check for tripped breakers, tripped GFCIs.
What do you mean by resetting the electrical? Was there a tripped breaker or GFCI? A tripped breaker may show in the half way off position.
If the breakers or the GFCIs keep tripping, then then you have an issue that needs to be resolved. If your not handy with electrical then recommend a professional.
Sorry, I don't know your electrical background.
Hope this helps a little.

Your breakers should not be clicking. The mechanical relays that control the power will click. So it sounds like your have power to the controller but missing power to the pumps. Check for tripped breakers, tripped GFCIs.
What do you mean by resetting the electrical? Was there a tripped breaker or GFCI? A tripped breaker may show in the half way off position.
If the breakers or the GFCIs keep tripping, then then you have an issue that needs to be resolved. If your not handy with electrical then recommend a professional.
Sorry, I don't know your electrical background.
Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the response! I have a decent understanding of electrical, but will still be having someone out next week if I can’t find anything obvious, it’s not worth the risk to me.

As for the clicking, it’s actually always done that, for every item in the panel. It does it for the lights, the heater, etc, which all still work fine. You can faintly hear it in the video, does that sound abnormal to you? It’s done it since we bought the house in 2016.

As for resetting I just meant that I flipped the breakers. Nothing was tripped, I just flipped the breakers to reset the heater which was stuck in an “ignition failure” status.

Thanks for the response! I have a decent understanding of electrical, but will still be having someone out next week if I can’t find anything obvious, it’s not worth the risk to me.

As for the clicking, it’s actually always done that, for every item in the panel. It does it for the lights, the heater, etc, which all still work fine. You can faintly hear it in the video, does that sound abnormal to you? It’s done it since we bought the house in 2016.

As for resetting I just meant that I flipped the breakers. Nothing was tripped, I just flipped the breakers to reset the heater which was stuck in an “ignition failure” status.
Those are relays that are making the noise, not breakers.
Its like turning on a lamp at the lamp switch but without it being plugged in. The switch makes noise but no light.
Relays are just electrically activated switches. If there is no power going to/through them they just make noise. Turn all your breakers off, then on. When you try to run the system one might trip and you've found where to start looking.

I am not familiar with you controller but the controller will make clicking sounds as it actuates mechanical relays based on your on/off selections.
If you are comfortable doing so, you can check for 240VAC power at the pumps when controller is on, and for 240VAC at the actual breaker panel.
With three items not working, i'd look for what is common to them all. The controller? Main AC breaker?

Those are relays that are making the noise, not breakers.
Its like turning on a lamp at the lamp switch but without it being plugged in. The switch makes noise but no light.
Relays are just electrically activated switches. If there is no power going to/through them they just make noise. Turn all your breakers off, then on. When you try to run the system one might trip and you've found where to start looking.

Thanks, that makes sense! Strangely nothing is tripping, even with all equipment turned on, so unsure what's going on. I'll open it tomorrow, see what I can find, and likely have a professional out next week.

I am not familiar with you controller but the controller will make clicking sounds as it actuates mechanical relays based on your on/off selections.
If you are comfortable doing so, you can check for 240VAC power at the pumps when controller is on, and for 240VAC at the actual breaker panel.
With three items not working, i'd look for what is common to them all. The controller? Main AC breaker?

Good idea! It's now raining here so I'm unable to test at the moment, but I have a voltmeter and will check when able.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.