Borax/Acid or Boric acid

What are you hoping to accomplish with borates? Steadier pH? You'll get that if you ever get the TA down to about half where it is now. Every time you replenish the water you're just going to drive TA, and by extension, pH, upwards. And it will take more acid to lower pH once the borates are there. Borates might slow it down some, but again, so will aggressively driving down the TA now.

When you add water, don't just drop the hose in. Rig it with a spray nozzle on a ladder or on the fence somehow so it blasts the surface. That'll push the pH back up fast so you can re-treat it with acid. Devise a jet on the return so it breaks the surface. Acid, aerate, repeat until TA comes down. Then things should stay steadier to where you only need to add acid after water replacement.
We are hoping to add borates to help the water feel softer and better for the kiddos and us. And to keep the pH steady instead of bouncing all over.

That's a great idea on the hose. We don't have to add water a lot but it definitely drives the TA when we do.

What are you hoping to accomplish with borates? Steadier pH? You'll get that if you ever get the TA down to about half where it is now. Every time you replenish the water you're just going to drive TA, and by extension, pH, upwards. And it will take more acid to lower pH once the borates are there. Borates might slow it down some, but again, so will aggressively driving down the TA now.

When you add water, don't just drop the hose in. Rig it with a spray nozzle on a ladder or on the fence somehow so it blasts the surface. That'll push the pH back up fast so you can re-treat it with acid. Devise a jet on the return so it breaks the surface. Acid, aerate, repeat until TA comes down. Then things should stay steadier to where you only need to add acid after water replacement.

We have talked about an SWG but with it being almost the end of swimming season, we are waiting on the SWG till possibly next year. But the better half isn't completely sold on the SWG yet. He's worried about it voiding our pool warranty (which is not gonna happen- already checked) and worried about the saltwater causing corrosion.

We have talked about an SWG but with it being almost the end of swimming season, we are waiting on the SWG till possibly next year. But the better half isn't completely sold on the SWG yet. He's worried about it voiding our pool warranty (which is not gonna happen- already checked) and worried about the saltwater causing corrosion.

I added borates and salt to my pool, and the water does feel and look great. You could add salt to 1800-2000 while you're waiting for the TA to come down. It makes a big difference. First test to see how much salt you have.

I added borates and salt to my pool, and the water does feel and look great. You could add salt to 1800-2000 while you're waiting for the TA to come down. It makes a big difference. First test to see how much salt you have.
So we can add pool salt even though we don't have a saltwater pool right now? We're still using liquid chlorine at this point.

What u do is up to your preference.
I have a salt pool with 50 ppm borates.
My ph really doesn’t fluctuate - that could be because of the borates or perhaps more likely because my Ta is 60ppm.
My fill water ta is only about 110 so not too crazy.
Not sure about Water feel As I already had salt water when i added the borates.
I have salt because i chlorinate w/ a swg.
I have borates because i live in the country & have loads of bugs, a fountain, swg & sorta high ta fill water.
So i was really just shoring my bets.
So far it’s working well.
You don’t have to decide today- work on your alk (it can take a while) & see if it helps your ph rise then decide from there.
U may decide to add both or neither.

You likely already have some salt in your water from chlorinating.
There is a salt kit & strips also there are borate strips.

Would we also then need a new test kit if we add salt? So we know when we're at 2000 ppm? We have the Taylor k2006c kit

Adding salt should definitely improve the feel of the water. You should have a test kit. It's not important to be precise with salt (or borate) level, but you probably have some in your pool, since most things add some salt. You can get one at tftestkits.net or a pool store. Adding salt is easier than borates, since it doesn't affect any of the other parameters. But it doesn't give you any benefits for PH stability, looks, or mild algae control, just feel.

I strongly recommend both.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Adding salt should definitely improve the feel of the water. You should have a test kit. It's not important to be precise with salt (or borate) level, but you probably have some in your pool, since most things add some salt. You can get one at tftestkits.net or a pool store. Adding salt is easier than borates, since it doesn't affect any of the other parameters. But it doesn't give you any benefits for PH stability, looks, or mild algae control, just feel.

So if we add both, we still would want to bring our TA level down to about 40-80ppm, correct? Then add salt, then add borates? Or vice versa?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And since we already have the Taylor 2006c chlorine test kit, do we want the whole new salt kit from taylor? or just strips for both salt, and ones for borates?

@D&GNewbies , you would be better off waiting to add Borates. Keep in mind that you are just learning the way chemicals work. At this point you are trying to fine tune your chemistry when you should be focusing on bigger adjustments like bringing TA down. You really should learn your pool and get things settled the way you want them. Then if the need is there you can add the borates.
if you want the feel of softer water, add some salt to it and that will help.

Last edited:
@D&GNewbies , you would be better off waiting to add Borates. Keep in mind that you are just learning the way chemicals work. At this point you are trying to fine tune your chemistry when you should be focusing on bigger adjustments like bringing TA down. You really should learn your pool and get things settled the way you want them. Then if the need is there you can add the borates.
if you want the feel of softer water, add some salt to it and that will help.

I strongly agree with this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.