Borates

Bigdog43

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I feel like I've gotten my testing methods and pool maintenance under control. I was reading about Borates and I just wanted to type this out to make sure...based on my calculations for my pool size, I would need over 130 lbs of the 20 Mule? That can't be right can it???

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
According to my PoolMath results to go from 0 to 50 ppm in 20k gallons I get
1177 oz borax or 73-1/2 lbs, I think the boxes at the grocery store are around 4 lbs, so 19 boxes. Might need to hit a couple of stores for that.
561 oz muriatic acid or 4.4 gallons

Or you can order 764 oz of granular boric acid from Dude Diesel. Or 47-3/4 lbs. Which is handy because they sell a 55 lb bucket.

Have you read this article?
Borates - Why and How

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
I highly recommend the boric acid from Duda Diesel. You don't have to add the muratic acid, and once I ordered it, we received it just a couple of days. Great service!

slinkyra531

Jun 7, 2013
Millville, PA
I used the Boric acid from Duda Diesel and i highly recommend going that route. It will cost you roughly the same amount of money but a lot less time. Plus you will have some left over so you can make the small maintenance additions every once in a while. Be sure to get your PH set before you add it. It wouldn't hurt to have your PH a little on the high side because the Boric acid will lower it slightly.

Bigdog43

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I did read that article but totally did the calculation wrong. Thanks everyone, the 55lb bag of Boric acid seems the way to go, that way I don't have to mess with MA.

Other Threads of Interest