Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi!
I've decided I want borates and have some questions.
In one thread it says balance first. (My levels are low except chlorine)
In another thread it says lower pH and alkalinity because the boric acid will raise it.

Which is correct?
I'll order 30# of granules from Duda. 15k pool

Ch 4
Ph 7.2/4
Alk 40
(I did another AA treatment over a week ago and have been coming out slow)

Chems to do cya are on order. I test it a lot and it's usually ok if I'm reading the disappearing dot right.

Have you read...

Several times it says"Before you start on borates, adjust your TA level toward the low end of the appropriate range for your pool type. See the Recommended Levels chart for appropriate levels."

I'm guessing borates raise levels.

I've read the other threads as well which has lead to my confusion. If boric acid is going to push my levels up, now seems like a good time to add rather than raising levels and trying to lower them after. 🤷🏼‍♀️

No, it means once you add borates getting the TA lower takes a lot of acid. So it is best to get your TA to the lower end of the range you want it.

Adding borates is not going to push your levels up. But when your pH and TA naturally rise borates will require significantly more acid to lower them.

What is your pH and TA of your fill water?

No, it means once you add borates getting the TA lower takes a lot of acid. So it is best to get your TA to the lower end of the range you want it.

Adding borates is not going to push your levels up. But when your pH and TA naturally rise borates will require significantly more acid to lower them.

Lol my fill water right now is a ton of rain. Do I need to catch and test?

Also there's several threads that say it will go up slightly (experienced)

So I'm asking am I too low to go with boric acid now?

Alk 40 is on the low side. I would wait until your TA gets up 10 points to 50 naturally. I would not add any chemicals to force it. Just standby with the Boric Acid until you see your TA a bit higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tena
Alk 40 is on the low side. I woudl wait until your TA gets up 10 points to 50 naturally. I would not add any chemicals to force it. Just standby with the Boric Acid until you see your TA a bit higher.
Thank you. It's not here yet so I should be okay.

I'm going with a half dose then the second half for testing and curiosity purposes

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.