New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi all, I was happy using borate for several years now, but home life has changed a bit (for the better). I have a vibrant German Shepherd who is now 2 years old, and he almost lives in the pool. Well, that as figuratively. But as an example, yesterday working in the yard, he was jumping in and out for couple hours. Its hard to keep him out of the pool he loves it so much. He also intakes pool water when fetching toys from the pool. I know this because after frolicking in the pool, he has the longest pee sessions compared to normal. Sometimes he will even pee for two minutes. The only negative I have read about borate is the potential health risks to pets that drink it as their primary source of water.

I keep this boy so fit and he is an incredible athlete that is thriving, on a superb diet and exercise regimen, and we want him to live a long life, like 12 or more years, not 7-10 like some shepherds. The pool is part of his fitness and happiness, but I don't want it to be a cause for shortening his life span by slowly compromising his organs. Thus, I have let my borate taper off, and now it is down to 16ppm. If anyone has authority on this subject, can you advise? I just haven't found any literature on this, other than the repeated anecdotal caution mentioned here. I can live without the borate, even though I like its benefits, if it may compromise his health and longevity.

Last edited:
Scroll to the bottom of this (or any) page for the TFP Wiki in the Quick Nav section. Then scroll down and read all about borates, particularly the health concerns about pets.

Anytime you're free, hit up the Wiki and deep dive the relevant topics that might not have made alot of sense at first. Or brush up on what went in one eye and out the other at some point. It should be continued required reading for all of us. :)

Reactions: JamesW
There was a post in an old thread that had this link to some research on borate and dogs, but the link is dead. Its from an old thread so I'm not allowed to resurrect it, but maybe somebody is familiar with it and has either a fresh link to the document or a copy of it? I think @chem geek likely knows. Thanks, and here is the dead link:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jorobbirch/Boric_acid.pdf

The available toxicity data for boron (as boric acid/borate salts) indicates moderate acute toxicity by the oral route of exposure.

Cases of accidental boron poisoning have been reported indicating that the lethal doses of boron range from 15 to 20 grams for adults, 5 to 6 grams for children and 2 to 3 grams for infants.

The systemic toxicity of boric acid and sodium borates has been assessed by various agencies and organizations, including the U.S. EPA, which have set safety limits for the oral exposure to boron based on toxicity data from repeated dose studies in animals.

Reproductive and developmental toxicity findings were identified as the most sensitive effects in animals following repeated oral exposure to boron.

The U.S. EPA has set 0.2 mg/kg-day as an acceptable oral intake of boron from all sources which equates to 14 mg/day (based on a 70 kg body weight).

Assessment of boron by the U.S. EPA and NSF International found that the currently recommended boron concentrations in swimming pools or spas of 30-50 mg/L as boron do not pose a significant risk to human health.

It is important to note that the above application rates have been set based on health protective concentrations; therefore, the swimming pool operators for pools using boric acid or sodium borates should regularly verify that appropriate concentrations are maintained.

Attachments

• FS_Boric_Acid_and_Sodium_Borates_092518_FINAL.pdf
    238 KB · Views: 0
Thank you, I have read the wiki. I am referring to the link above that has the document itself that was discussed in several old threads. The link is dead, so wondering if anyone has the document.

See attached file from
There are no compelling data on doses causing chronic effects in humans, but studies have been performed in several animal species. In tested mammals, the most sensitive indicators of boron toxicity are testicular atrophy in males and effects on foetal development in pregnant females. Mice exposed over their lifetime to 0.95 mg boron/kg/day in their drinking water showed no adverse effect. Long-term studies on oral exposure in dogs and rats indicate that the lowest dose for testicular effects is around 17-30 mg boron/kg/day. In pregnant mice and rabbits, the lowest chronic dose for adverse effects on offspring was in the range 40-80 mg boron/kg/day. To obtain a dose of 10 mg boron/kg/day from a swimming pool at 100 ppm boron, an individual weighing 50 kg would need to swallow 5 litres of pool water every day. The World Health Organization recommends intake below 0.4 mg/kg/day (intended to avoid any possibility of harm to a foetus in a pregnant woman): under this scenario an individual weighing 50 kg should swallow less than 0.2 litres per day of pool water at 100 ppm boron.

Attachments

• Boric_acid.pdf
    345.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude