Booster pump replacement or robot cleaner?

PaigeMark

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2019
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I have a Hayward 3/4HP booster pump dedicated to the side cleaner. It looks like it’s met the end of it’s life because it isn’t running at all but is getting power. The serial # is 21212006260608016. I think that dates it to June 2020?

My question is do I replace the pump ($435) or spend the money on a robot cleaner? The pool is on the small size and there are no overhanging trees. Once a year, we get some leaves blown in but it is minimal most of the year.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Robot all the way. It’ll pay for itself in first year on electricity savings, all while doing a much better job. You’ll be shocked how much silt and sand it will pull out of a “clean” looking pool.

Reactions: markayash
For those of you who have switched from a pressure side cleaner to a robot, how did you handle the plumbing of that line? Is it as simple as removing the dead/unused booster pump and replacing with PVC Pipe?

My Prowler 920 arrived today. I popped the fine filters in the basket and put it to work in the pool. After a little over an hour, I went to check on it and the pool looked crystal clear. We had a lot of sand in the pool from some big storms with lots of wind while the Polaris was dead. The filters were covered in mud/sand. I’m thinking I should’ve gone the robot route a while ago. Still need to figure out what to do about the dead booster pump line but I’ll figure that out one of these days. Marina Pool Spa and Patios shipped the unit and it arrived in two days. They gave me a great price and didn’t charge shipping or tax. Registered the product for the warranty just in case but I’m happy with my purchase already.

For those of you who have switched from a pressure side cleaner to a robot, how did you handle the plumbing of that line? Is it as simple as removing the dead/unused booster pump and replacing with PVC Pipe?
I plumbed in a t fitting in my main return line to connect to the pressure side line. Very easy and have a ball valve to control flow.

Was less than $40 for peace of mind to keep that line from gunking up due to no use.

Reactions: PaigeMark
My Prowler 920 arrived today. I popped the fine filters in the basket and put it to work in the pool. After a little over an hour, I went to check on it and the pool looked crystal clear. We had a lot of sand in the pool from some big storms with lots of wind while the Polaris was dead. The filters were covered in mud/sand. I’m thinking I should’ve gone the robot route a while ago. Still need to figure out what to do about the dead booster pump line but I’ll figure that out one of these days. Marina Pool Spa and Patios shipped the unit and it arrived in two days. They gave me a great price and didn’t charge shipping or tax. Registered the product for the warranty just in case but I’m happy with my purchase already.
So you ordered your cleaner on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday? Did they send any sort of email with tracking info? Just wondering cuz they certainly took my phone order and payment info, but I haven't heard anything in 4 days--I also ordered the Prowler 920 which is in stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@JBourne10,

You should contact Marina and see what is going on.

No charge, two-day shipping, is their normal process. If it was in stock it should have shipped.

Something is not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. I have called and emailed. It did take a couple days worth of calling to actually get through the first time. It is just puzzling I haven't even received an email affirming the order. I know they're slammed, and everyone in TFP says it's worth the wait. But still.... ;)

@JBourne10,

You should contact Marina and see what is going on.

No charge, two-day shipping, is their normal process. If it was in stock it should have shipped.

Something is not right.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Do you know someone at Marina's? Because within about 30-40 minutes of my question posted on here yesterday, I get an email stating they must've entered my email incorrectly, and they attached the purchase invoice and tracking info. ;) Either way thanks for the input!

So you ordered your cleaner on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday? Did they send any sort of email with tracking info? Just wondering cuz they certainly took my phone order and payment info, but I haven't heard anything in 4 days--I also ordered the Prowler 920 which is in stock.
They did send a tracking number. It was a quick process. I did have to sign for the delivery (came FedEx).

They did send a tracking number. It was a quick process. I did have to sign for the delivery (came FedEx).
Thank you for your reply, I did finally get ahold of them and sure enough they had my email address copied wrong. It did deliver, and I couldn't be happier with the Prowler 920. Paired with the Betta 2 skimmer, now all I do is empty the filter baskets! ;)

Reactions: PaigeMark
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.