Bonding on a concrete slab question

Brian W

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
Brea, California
Hello
I am planning on putting my pool on a concrete slab. My pool is in boxes, and the slab hasn't been poured yet. The pump, filter, and waterbug bonding kit are supposedly on there way. (I've had two pumps have canceled deliveries-- I can get the inground pump I listed in my signature)

I am confused like most about bonding, but want to do it right before I get started. Everything I've read so far talks about trenching down and attaching at 4 equidistant points around the pool (does that include the waterbug?).

I can't trench through the concrete after it's been poured, but is there something I can do before I pour it? Attach the copper to the rebar before the cement is poured. Extend some rebar past the concrete. Do I need to do any of this?

Any advice / information in simple terms for me please.

Brian

Will your pool installation need to pass local code inspection? If so, check what the inspector will require and don't go by what you read on the internet.

Read Mike Holts article linked in Electrical Bonding - Further Reading

I would attach a bonding wire to the rebar in the concrete.

I would not leave rebar sticking out and attatch to that. In time it will rot away as rebar is not listed for that. If the rebar is used to bond then the connection will be lost over time after the rebar disintegrates. The rebar needs to be off the dirt. ACI 318 does not permit steel reinforcing bars to be located with 2" of the soil.

Bring the wire out the concrete and connect it to the loop connected to the 4 points around the pool and the pool water and then to the equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.