Bonding issue ( update )

Maybe talk to a pool builder and ask them to refer you to an electrician who routinely does pool bonding.

Alternatively, check with the city building department and ask the electrical inspector to recommend an electrician who does pool bonding.

Sorry that we can't be more helpful.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I like what the 2nd one was saying until the grounding part. You don't ground a bonding grid.

The objective of a bonding grid is to keep all the pieces at equipotential, not to drain the electrons to the ground.

Neither one understands the purpose of bonding and what it should accomplish electrically.

Out of the box solution
If the pool handle is bonded (that what i understand from some comments)
Sooo... maybe i will dig 1 inch at the concret from the pool metal handle to the closest ground and connect a copper wire to the not that hold the handle and to run that wire under ground wire and connect it to the pool aquepment
And to cover that 1 inch deep back with cement

That will do the job right ?

After it i can cover and paint it so it will be unnoticeable

The handrail "should" be bonded, but we don't know that it definitely is bonded.

You can try to locate the bond wire by cutting out the anchor cups and looking for the bond wire.

If the anchor cups are not bonded, the whole pool is likely to not be bonded at all.

The light niche might be bonded. If you can dig down to the light niche, you can look for a bond wire, but it might not be bonded.

The city should have the permit information on file. Ask to see the permits and inspections to see what information that provides.

Maybe the pool was never actually permitted or inspected. If that's the case, you might cause yourself more trouble if the city makes a big deal about it.

ps4019abz.jpg

This is what should be in the deck that the handrail goes into.

You have to lift the escutcheon at the base of the handrail to see the cup anchor.

The screw on the side is where the bond wire should be connected.

To get to the bond wire you're going to have to cut through the concrete and look to see if the bond wire is there.

Be careful not to damage the bond wire.

Then, you would have to replace the cup anchor.

You would have to connect to the bond wire and get the bond wire to the equipment pad.

The bond wire might not be there. So, you're taking a risk.

You can also dig down to the outside of the light niche to see if there is a bond wire connected. There might not be a bond wire connected. It's a lot of digging and you might not find anything.

Last edited:
If the anchor cups are not bonded and the light niches have bond lugs, but no bond wire, the pool is probably not bonded.

At that point, you can connect a bond wire to the anchor cups and the light niches bond lugs and run the bond wires back to the equipment pad.

To get the wire from the anchor cups to the outside of the deck, you can sawcut a groove in the deck, install the wire in the groove and then grout over the wire to cover it up.

You can remove the expansion joint caulking and install a wire in the expansion joint and then caulk over it.

Connect the perimeter wire to the handrail wire.

As you write
"The handrail "should" be bonded, but we don't know that it definitely is bonded.

You can try to locate the bond wire by cutting out the anchor cups and looking for the bond wire."

So if i use the wire detector (device MY6818T)
Red clamp at the hand rail anchor
And the black clamp at the ground
If there is bonding It should create signle all over the pool right
And if not so that mean it not bonded right

If the anchor cups are not bonded and the light niches have bond lugs, but no bond wire, the pool is probably not bonded.

At that point, you can connect a bond wire to the anchor cups and the light niches bond lugs and run the bond wires back to the equipment pad.

To get the wire from the anchor cups to the outside of the deck, you can sawcut a groove in the deck, install the wire in the groove and then grout over the wire to cover it up.

You can remove the expansion joint caulking and install a wire in the expansion joint and then caulk over it.

Connect the perimeter wire to the handrail wire.

Goin to the basics again

Attachments

• 15932874323581527244576540310417.jpg
    15932874323581527244576540310417.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 4
At this point, I'm not sure what's going on.

I would probably cut the concrete and look for the bond wire.

Maybe it's not bonded.

If it's not bonded, you can do the bonding that I described. That's probably as much as you can reasonably do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.