Bonding intex pool with retaining wall base?

Apr 26, 2017
IL
Okay, after reading some other threads, im am looking into bonding my 24ft intex pool. First, the area is dug into a slope and has a retaining wall that goes down about 12 inches into the ground (6 inch base rock and full block burried). Right now the frame sits 16 inches away from wall as that's the farthest it can be to be even on all sides.

Im reading this #8 wire has to be burried 4 to 6 inches around 18 inches away. First if my retaining wall is 16 inches away what is the closest to the pool wall the copper wire can be? Second the base rock comes out about 6 inches from wall with about 4 inches of crushed gravel (2 more inches of base rock compacted against bottom 2 inches of block, so 4 inches of gravel without fines) before it hits the base for wall. Will the bond still work under crushed rock if i brought it out as close to wall as possible? Also, im am installing 2 inch paver bricks for leg supports and putting a gravel base under each to help level. The gravel base areas for the paver brick by the retaining wall pretty much but against the base rock.. so does the wire need to go under the gravel base for the paver brick? Can all this just be attached to a grounding rod instead? Not really sure how to approach this.

Lastly, if im just using the regular double insulated filter with no skimmer, how do you bond the water?

Take a peak at my build photos you can see in some of them where I put my bonding wire right next to the retaining edge then put 6inches of road base over it. You will be fine if you do something similar for the loop around the pool. No need to go outside the retaining wall.

At no point in a bonding loop is there ever a grounding rod. At no point in a bonding loop do you ever connect it to the electrical grounding wire servicing the pool.

For the water bond you need a water bond fitting. The "waterbug", or "permacast fitting" are good choices. You only need one of them.

You are splitting hairs at the difference between 16 and 18 inches. Right at the base of the wall below the fill will be a perfectly good place for the bond wire.

Are you still building the pool or is the bond loop going in after everything is up?

Per code it's 18-24 inches from the inside wall of the pool. My point is if you have 16 inches to the base of the wall you are going to be fine. The intent of the distance is to have to loop in the ground where you will be most likely to be walking around the pool and be able to touch the water.

Okay another question. More on the how to.

My local hardware store only carries 50ft of 8awg bare copper wire. Does the wire need to be continuous? Or can i connect two 50ft wires using the split bolt connector? Same for when connecting to pool legs can i connect to the halo with a seperate wire using a split bolt connector?

Also where do the two ends of the halo go? Do they connect to each other or does one go to pump and another to the water? If so my pump doesn't have a bond connection. Its the intex pool sand filter.

Thanks for all your help. The info is out there on the net but in bits and pieces, and i can't seem to find much about the small details.

Home Depot and Lowe's generally carry that wire in large spools you can buy it in long lengths. Using multiple pieces if fine as well when joined with split bolt connectors.

It doesn't matter where the ends go. Lay them out in a way that is convenient. You need a complete circle of wire around the pool when you are done. From that circle there will be branches that go to all the things that connect to it.

You need to run a branch to were the pump is for use if the pump is changed to one with a bond fitting. You don't need to connect a double insulated Intex pump to the loop.

Okay thanks! Figured might as well take care of it now as space will be tight between pool and retaining wall after it's up. I already have the two 50ft sections and hardware i purchased while there, so i will just go ahead with connecting the two sections.

I will post pictures when done. Thanks again for your time and helping make the pool safer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.