Bond Cote?

DJ FL

May 2, 2023
Florida
Our pool has been completely chipped out and new plaster will be installed. Is it necessary for bond cote to be applied, or can the plaster be applied directly to the chipped out surface? We have heard conflicting thoughts and want to know what this group thinks. Thank you!

A full chip out does not generally need or require a bond coat to be applied. However, there is no harm in doing so, and in fact, may improve the bonding of the new plaster coat. There may be bond coat products that aren't as good as others. But for the most part, bond coats generally help and improve bonding, but are not necessary with a full chip out. So I like the contractor that recommends a bond coat.

A full chip out does not generally need or require a bond coat to be applied. However, there is no harm in doing so, and in fact, may improve the bonding of the new plaster coat. There may be bond coat products that aren't as good as others. But for the most part, bond coats generally help and improve bonding, but are not necessary with a full chip out. So I like the contractor that recommends a bond coat.

I’ve heard a few people talk about using a cementitious membrane like Hydroban. Is that a similar item that could be used as a bond coat?

Hydro-Ban is a waterproofing material…

Lots of potential issues here with a re-plaster, follow the NPC standards.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.