Bond beam repair

6" is no problem, especially if there's rebar there to support it. You might have to do it in a couple passes though. I would make my own mix of Plastic cement and sand - 50:50 mix. It will be sticky so apply it in a manner so that you can shave off material, not necessarily trowel it into place.

Laticrete 254 thinset and Laticrete epoxy grout

Absolutely, HydroBan is a good product. Merlex Super Blokade is also a very good choice and should be very easy to get a hold of. I believe it can still be ordered through Home Depot.

Is there any alternative to this plastic cement? I cannot find any near me at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

You sure they don't have it? That's a pretty common building material.

You could use mortar mix or pretty much any High PSI fine aggregate mix would be fine.

Jimmy is a lot closer to you, I bet he would know what you could find

You sure they don't have it? That's a pretty common building material.

You could use mortar mix or pretty much any High PSI fine aggregate mix would be fine.

Jimmy is a lot closer to you, I bet he would know what you could find

Unless they selling it under a different name, I am unable to find it. I can see the product online for HD and Lowe’s, but it’s not available in store or to order and have delivered to store. I called another building supply house with it on their website, and he then said the SKU from online didn’t bring anything up and he has never heard of it. Very strange.
Guy doing the plaster said he uses hydraulic cement, and he hasn’t heard of plastic cement either.
Hopefully Jimmy will chime in, I am willing to drive a bit to get the right stuff.

Find a mason supply near you. Get plenty of plasticizer and use the highest strength concrete you can find bagged. Theres many 5000psi + mixes out there. The key to keeping strength in the mix is minimum water content. High strength mixes use pea gravel for aggregate. Low grade uses 3/4 stone. You can easily mix your own as bdavis stated.

Reactions: Davileet
Thank you both for replying. I have no problems mixing my own, I am just unfamiliar with all the different types of materials. I will look into finding a mason supply near me.

If I were to mix my own, what would be the exact parts needed? Is plasticizer and high strength concrete consisting of small gravel all I need?

Sorry for needing the hand holding, concrete mixtures are out of my realm.

If we are talking just the beam repair then yes. For a DIY I would use concrete nails and just form it all. You can mix big batches in a rubbermaid garbage can. Do a little research on the web about plasticizer and how it works and what it does. Its brilliant stuff. You would obviously still need to prep and bond coat everything. Your gonna need a set of hands or two to be efficient

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can mix your own mortar and shape it by hand as bdavis laid out. It's just harder for a novice to have the right mix that's stiff enough to hold shape and then the touch to get the shape right. I do alot of concrete work so I'm a fan of making simple forms and doing a single pour theres little chance of things going wrong

I believe I feel pretty confident if I can just ensure I am getting the right product for the job. As long as I get something that is easy enough to form without hardening on me too quickly, I think I can handle it successfully. Luckily my pool only has 5-10' sections that I can do at one time if time is of the essence for the material. If I need forms, that is fine too, but again I think it just comes down to getting the right product. I have listed some available products below, the Cement All I was pointed to from a pool guy on YouTube, I just worry about the set time.

I have done some concrete work for a previous job in building agricultural buildings, as well as laying tile in the past, so I don't feel completely unfamiliar.

I called three mason supply companies in the area, and all of them have no clue what plastic cement is. They are probably thinking of the stuff you use for model airplanes or something. I have found some Lehigh Portland Lime Type S I can buy, but I don't feel that is the right stuff either.

Cement All
High strength Sakrete
High strength Sakrete 5000
Surface bonding cement
Type S Masonry cement
Mortar mix type s

Any of these products strike your fancy?

Last edited:
This what is being discussed?

This what is being discussed?

Correct. I am unable to find any plastic cement locally and looking for alternatives. I actually called the Quikrete factory in MD and was told they do not make that product.

Yeah, I just read the comments on the Home Depot product and July 2017 entry says:

Unfortunately, this 94 lb. Plastic Cement appears to be unavailable and is no longer in stock or available for purchase on Homedepot.com. The item will remain briefly on the website for customer reference, and the description will be updated with “Discontinued” if it has not been already.

Yeah, looking at different zip codes in the HD stock checker, there is none to be had in NJ, MD, VA, TN, WV. However, CA does have plenty of stock. I think it is like you say rcerf, its a stucco product which isn't relevant on the east coast either.

You can mix it by parts easily. For 5 10' sections i would personally form it if I was making the repair. Super easy and fast and I can leave the site with no worries or babysitting. Nothing fancy some thin plywood or whatever is laying around my yard this isn't pretty formwork.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.