board unavailable and other errors

chem geek said:
Same for me. Very slow or getting board unavailable messages. If this happens too often, new users will get frustrated, leave, and may never return. The absolute worst thing for a website is to be unavailable. Figure on at least 30% growth for next year, but why not just get over-capacity in anticipation? Is it possible to get additional capacity now for the rest of this season rather than wait until next year?

The user load hasn't been particularly high this afternoon. I suspect something else is using up server resources.

IDK if this is related, but I keep having to log in again & again today. Must have done it 6 times between 1000 & 1600. I recognize the need when I try to reply to a message, I can't see pics in posts, or I can't view new posts by date.

I am in the process of scheduling the server upgrade, sometime in the next week or so.

There are two things happening. One is that the server load is up noticeably since mid-June. This appears to be due to a couple of search indexing robots that have decided they need to be more up to date with our content, so they scan the site more aggressively than they used to. The other half has something to do with a design flaw in the local site search software that is locking up the database for longer than it should be.

Ah, I noticed you swapped the site search and Google Search so perhaps that will help though for me the site search works better since I narrow down to specific author or titles rather than general searching.

It's too bad these indexing bots don't work mostly in off-hours when traffic is lower, That would be the courteous thing to do and shouldn't be any difficulty for them to schedule. Is there any way for you to contact them to ask them to reschedule, especially since this site is very cyclical in traffic (i.e. they could update later in the year even if they have to do so during the day)?

chem geek said:
Ah, I noticed you swapped the site search and Google Search so perhaps that will help though for me the site search works better since I narrow down to specific author or titles rather than general searching.
Oh, so you did. Thanks Jason Lion, I actually kind of like that Google is now the default. I seldom find what I need with the site search. But I'll admit Richard, the phpBB search is great for topic searches.

chem geek said:
It's too bad these indexing bots don't work mostly in off-hours when traffic is lower, That would be the courteous thing to do and shouldn't be any difficulty for them to schedule. Is there any way for you to contact them to ask them to reschedule, especially since this site is very cyclical in traffic (i.e. they could update later in the year even if they have to do so during the day)?
That sure would be cool and is definitely worth a shot. But I think it'd be easier to create an IP tables FW rule to set the IPs of those bots to a much, much lower packet priority on the network. Or maybe even just block them during peak hours. The bots will keep trying and then get in when the FW rule allows, during off hours. Something along those lines should work well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps this info might be helpful for putting up a proper maintenance message that doesn't affect the bots? You'd have to have some other hardware or redirected site to host the maintenance page since you're planning on upgrading hardware.

If you can't do that, then put some banner on every TFP page the day or two before you plan on bringing things down to let people know this will be happening.

JasonLion said:
toofast, the native phpBB search is still available, down in the bottom left corner.

Ah, ok found it...but isn't it missing some functionality?
When I was learning, I used to search "titles" only a TON to narrow my results, etc.

once again , I get if that was causing troubles...but just seemed like a great feature.

Does this forum get hit with Chinese bots constantly running searches? Another forum I am a member of sometimes goes down because of them. Apparently they just keep doing searches and reading pages. Does that have anything to do with these outages?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.