Blue water but still not clear!

Ribbod

May 30, 2018
Marietta/ga
Ok- Here I am again! Pool is Blue but still can't see bottom of deep end... Should I go ahead and add Cal-hypo ( I have a big bucket that needs to be used up) to get to my shock level based on my current CYA? I just added more CYA this morning, as my morning test results were:

FC: 10
CC: 0.0
PH: 7.8
CYA: 60 ( added 31 oz. to bring to 70)
Salt 2600 (Added 40 lb. this morning )

I also turned off my SWG. I have no OCLT since the SLAM was completed.
I have a feeling I just need to practice more POP as a Sand filter takes longer to clear...

Thank you, as always!101482

Last edited:
You state your SLAM was completed but you have cloudy water. First criteria for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water.

Cal hypo, when you have higher pH and TA, will cloud your water also.

Just continue your SLAM with bleach. Your calcium hardness and total alkalinity are fine. Calcium hardness matters if you are using cal hypo shock but not that important in a vinyl pool as you said. Just don't want it to get too high so be careful with the cal hypo shock because that along with calcium in your fill water if you have hard water can start to add up. Continue the SLAM with bleach until your water clears. Make sure you are maintaining your free chlorine level at the appropriate level for your CYA as best as possible. Check your pump filter basket, skimmer baskets, etc and make sure all your equipment is working and you have good circulation. Brush your pool regularly. It will clear. Be patient. You can use the cal hypo shock if you want but to help continue your SLAM but it might temporarily cloud your water when you add it (so it will make your problem temporarily appear to be getting WORSE).

Just continue your SLAM with bleach. Your calcium hardness and total alkalinity are fine. Calcium hardness matters if you are using cal hypo shock but not that important in a vinyl pool as you said. Just don't want it to get too high so be careful with the cal hypo shock because that along with calcium in your fill water if you have hard water can start to add up. Continue the SLAM with bleach until your water clears. Make sure you are maintaining your free chlorine level at the appropriate level for your CYA as best as possible. Check your pump filter basket, skimmer baskets, etc and make sure all your equipment is working and you have good circulation. Brush your pool regularly. It will clear. Be patient.

Just to clarify, you are suggesting I add enough bleach to get to my shock level of 24, and not use the Cal-hypo? Equipment is working well, after not having it on for 2 weeks, due to broken impeller... just got everything fixed this past Friday... Filter has been running 24/7 since then

I would do as Felipe says, lower your pH to 7.2 because chlorine will be more effective there. Let your FC drop to 10 and get a pH measurement and adjust. Then restart your SLAM with liquid bleach. I hate telling people not to use something they already have because they spent money on it, so you can technically use the cal-hypo but if you want to stay as "clean" as possible the BEST thing to use is liquid bleach. Because cal hypo can cloud your water it will throw you off. Liquid bleach doesn't have those side effects. If you use cal hypo then you DEFINITELY should lower the pH because cal hypo is going to raise it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.