Blue over my Green Pool

SandyK

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Zachary, LA
Thanks in advance for your great website!!
I'm in Day 3 of my first SLAM. My pool has been green and cloudy for about one month and I've poured an incredibly large amount of $$ into it. I'm excited to get started with the help of your knowledge.

Today's results
FC 15
TC 15.5
CYA 40
TA 110
CH 150
pH 8.2 or more
I added CYA yeserday and some a few hours ago. It was <20 yesterday
FC was 1.5 yesterday
Should I not worry about pH during a SLAM?
Do I need to do anything with my CH level? I've been using liiquid bleach for the SLAM though I did add granular CA Hypochlorite to try and increase CH.

When FC > 10ppm , the pH test is not valid. That is why the first step of the SLAM is to lower the pH to the lower 7s. Check and adjust your pH if the FC drops low enough.

You may want to raise the CH up to at least 250ppm so your plaster is not damaged.

How much CYA did you add? What was your target?

I just tested and FC is 14.
Before I started this SLAM my pH was 8.6 by pool store values. Over 8.2 with my test kit AND the FC was 0.
I added MA on Sunday and Monday. Yesterday(Monday) my FC was 1.5 and pH was >8.2.
I added pool school values of MA Sunday and Monday.
I added CYA twice in the last couple days. First day 128 oz liquid. Second day 4# granular. My goal was 30. After first addition, it was <20. After 2nd addition,
it was 40 (today).

So, for now I should add Calcium (not Ca Hypochlorite)?
And should I wait for the chlorine level to come down, adjust the pH then continue with the SLAM?

Yeah, I would let the FC drift down and get the pH down. Add the muriatic acid and retest the pH after about 20-30 minutes ... rinse and repeat until the pH is a good number. Then raise the FC back up to shock level. You can use the cal-hypo if you like, note it might make the water cloudy. Once you pass the OCLT, then you might want to stop with the cal-hypo so that it does not impact the clarity and you can tell when the water clears.

I have new test data.
I've been letting my FC drift down. I've also been taking care of a water leak due to my multiport, therefore I haven't added chemicals in the last 2 days.
presently I'm at

FC 5 CC 0
CYA 28
pH 8.2
TA 100
CH 125
I still need to bring down the pH and I need to add CaCl. And I should brush and vacuum. Can I backwash after adding CaCl?
I've looked at PoolMath, but please feel free to tell me exactly the order I should be going in with these chemicals and procedures.

Hi Sandy
The first step is to lower your ph
The max level on the test is 8.2 so it may be higher than that

Make sure your pump is running
Put 8.2 in the now column of poolmath, 7.2 in the target column and add the recommended amount of muriatic acid

After half an hour retest your ph
If you have not reached target redo the above steps until you do reach target

Once you have reached your ph target of 7.2 then you can address FC
add CaCl to reach your FC slam level for your CYA
Assume CYA of 30. The scale on the CYA tube is not linear but logarithmic so you cant determine a number between the markings. We round up to the nearest 10.

I'm ready (again) to begin my SLAM I have a repaired pump, new multiport, new sand, NO LEAKS!
My test results today are
pH 7.2
FC 1.5
CYA 40
TA 90
CH 125
(Pool temp is 85. The weather temp is low 90's this afternoon. It'll probably rain later today.)
Questions I have:
Should I brush pool and vacuum before I SLAM?
Should I correct CH before I SLAM or wait?
If I correct CH now, how long do I wait to SLAM?
Can I recheck and add chlorine every couple of hours.

Thanks!

I would suggest adding some calcium choride to get your CSI above -0.6 using the pH of 7.2 ad TA of 90. That would be about 24# of calcium chloride. This is to protect your plaster.

Otherwise, SLAM. You can start the SLAM now if you do not have the calcium chloride but you should get some in the next day or two.

Brush and vacuum during the SLAM.

You should test and dose chlorine every couple hours early on.

Take care

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.