Blue Essence SWG needs to be recalibrated daily

NecoFranc

Aug 21, 2021
St. Petersburg, FL
As the title suggests, with each new day the SWG Checks Salt indicator is lit (when salt is in fact 3000+) and I have to manually calibrate in order to start Generating. Every day for so many days lol. Not a new issue, we bought the house 6 months and this issue has always been present. Pool installed 2012, new Pentair pump and salt cell 5 months ago.

This sounds like to me that the SWG is trying to get salt readings when the pump is off, or no flow - resulting in the Check Salt indicator.
My question is, why does it not re-calibrate the salt reading when the pump turns back on the following day?

The pump and SWG are on separate breakers with no global timer. The Pentair variable pump has its own built in timer whereas the SWG, I assume, is always on.

The previous homeowner shared most of her pool receipts and the SWG board has been replaced twice since 2012 but no notes on the invoices indicating why. So I am unsure sure if the daily Checks Salt indicator has always been an issue.

What can be done to make this work properly? Hopefully, not a another board.

PXL_20210821_144423185.jpg

You need to time the SWG being on when the pump is running or the easiest way is to run the VS pump 24/7 and then set the SWG when you want it to run :)

You need to time the SWG being on when the pump is running or the easiest way is to run the VS pump 24/7 and then set the SWG when you want it to run :)
I like easy (y) ... but running the pump 24/7 for a 7k gallon pool don't make sense to me. FL power is already too expensive. Plus I don't have a way to "set" the SWG to run when I want it to, it's always on, unless it has a hidden timer in the settings that I am completely unaware of.

Many people including me run their VS pumps 24x7 to generate chlorine with the swg. So much more predictable and consistent. What are you doing?

A VS pump at 1200 rpm running 24/7 is only like 12 dollars a month..

How are you making chlorine at a set time now if the SWG is always on?

Bottom line your system is set up incorrectly. The SWG should be on the same circuit/timer as the pump. It should not be on without the pump also being on. It is possible and has happened that the SWG has caused the pipes to explode being in an incorrect configuration due to a buildup of hydrogen gas that ignites within the pipes.

Reactions: NecoFranc
Bottom line your system is set up incorrectly. The SWG should be on the same circuit/timer as the pump. It should not be on without the pump also being on. It is possible and has happened that the SWG has caused the pipes to explode being in an incorrect configuration due to a buildup of hydrogen gas that ignites within the pipes.
That's what I was afraid of and was not aware that hydrogen gas could build up like that. Given that the VS pump uses internal programming to run the pump throughout the day, sounds like I need to have a timer installed on the SWG and manually sync with the pump timer. I appreciate your input!

The issue is that the SWG is trying to generate chlorine when there is no water flow through it. You have two problems, first, the SWG's power should be off when the pump isn't running and the second is that your flow switch isn't working. The flow switch should stop the SWG from generating chlorine when there is no flow. The flow switch is a backup, which in your case is not working. I would fix that first.

Reactions: NecoFranc
The issue is that the SWG is trying to generate chlorine when there is no water flow through it. You have two problems, first, the SWG's power should be off when the pump isn't running and the second is that your flow switch isn't working. The flow switch should stop the SWG from generating chlorine when there is no flow. The flow switch is a backup, which in your case is not working. I would fix that first.
Good call, I'll verify if the flow switch is faulty first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.