Blue, cloudy water w/ numbers in range - filter problem?

Redbull

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2010
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

You guys have helped me keep my pool sparkling for many years! I manage the testing and chemicals, while my husband has been managing the "hardware" (pool equipment etc.).

One week ago, my husband opened the pool himself for the third year in a row. It was dark green on opening. Without my guidance, he dumped in "three and a half jugs" of pool chlorine. When I tested the pool the next day, the Cl was = 35. It has been burning off over the week, but we didn't have much sun until yesterday.

We turned off our SWG and have had the pump running 10 hours overnight. Hubby is away for the week, so I have asked him some questions about the pump etc. I asked him if he backwashed the filter and he said, "no". So, yesterday I decided to take the "hardware" matters into my own hands, too. Ha, ha. I checked the pressure gauge and it didn't work. He told me that he doesn't use it. I bought a new gauge and it read 21 psi. I found the backwash hose and backwashed for about 2 minutes. I rinsed for 20 seconds (was that long enough?). I put a new sock in the filter. I ran the pool robot cleaner at dusk. I thought that after the pump ran overnight I would have clear water this morning, but no luck.

I just used my test kit and here our the numbers today:
Cl = 10
CC = 0
pH = 7.5
TA = 65
CH = 250
CYA = 45
Salt = approx 3500 ppm

He said that he replaced the sand in the filter last year. Could we be getting sand in our pool causing the cloudiness? How would I tell?

Cloudy water implies a chemistry issue. The best way to check is to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. Be sure the SWCG is off during the test.

It is not likely you are getting sand in the pool. Are you seeing piles of sand just under the pool returns?

After backwashing the filter, did you record the clean filter pressure? You use that as your base and when it rises by 25% it is time to backwash the filter again.

Thanks for your reply. I thought that with my CCs at zero that I was ok. I will do an overnight loss test. I think I will also backwash and rinse again today, then I will also record the clean pressure today. Here is a current photo:

Attachments

• FEC610BA-87C0-4AF4-A01F-9AA44FA378C7.jpeg
    FEC610BA-87C0-4AF4-A01F-9AA44FA378C7.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 7
Check the robot filters for sand.
You do have a robot, not a pool cleaner, correct? Nothing is listed in your signature.

SLAM and sun going down are not related. SLAM is a 24 hour, several day to a couple week process. See SLAM Process

Whoops, I thought that it was best to start at sunset to help maintain the chlorine at the appropriate levels, but I guess I had better re-read! I haven't had to do this in a few years. It definitely helped me last time. I've got my current numbers, so will plug them into the calculator and determine the required liquid chlorine. I'll be at home for the next few days, so I can easily keep testing. I'll get started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.