Blue cloudy water after opening and 3 consecutive days of <1.0 FC overnight loss

Mr C4t

Jul 17, 2018
Janesville, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
25K gallon, in-ground, vinyl pool
Opened last Saturday 6/10
Shallow side I can see the bottom, but it is very obscured
Deep side I can't even begin to make out the drain
Water is otherwise clear/blue

Tests:
Taylor K-2006 (T) at 7:30am today
Pool store test (PS) at 10:30am today

FC:
T: 12.5
PS: 10.0

CC:
T: <0.5
PS: 0

PH:
T: 7.4 (from last night when FC was 5.8 prior to bringing back up to 13.5)
PS: 7.4

TA:
T: 80
PS: 95

CH:
T: 110
PS: 81

CYA:
T: ~30 or just under (black dot still slightly visible)
PS: 33

TDS:
PS: 2600

Most years, the pool is crystal clear after just 3 days. This year, I have been SLAMming the pool for 6 days and it's still cloudy. The past three mornings the FC loss overnight has been between 0.5 and 1.0 and CC is <0.5 (using the 10ml sample technique so I'm not using 60+ drops for each test). I have been bringing it to 12.5 - 13.5 at night and it's been 11.5 - 12.5 in the mornings. I want to bring down the FC to normal levels now that my overnight loss is okay, but usually it wouldn't be cloudy at this point.

1. Should I keep going with the SLAM levels or bring it down to normal FC levels now that overnight loss is good? Or do I want to see closer to 0.5 loss overnight, and I should keep going?

2. I assume I don't need to be concerned about the pool store TDS reading of 2600 based on articles here. Is that correct, or is that part of my cloudiness problem?

3. Should I raise my CH if I have a vinyl pool and no heater? It sounds like it is more of an issue with plaster, and I wouldn't expect low CH to affect cloudiness.

4. I haven't done anything with the sand filter since I took over maintaining this pool about 5 years ago. Could the cloudiness mean I need to service the sand filter? I read once about adding DE to sand filter to improve filtration. Is that (or some other solution) a quick fix if I want to wait until next spring to change out the sand once it is dry?

5. Do I just need to give it more time?

Thanks!

Cory

Absolutely you need to keep on with the SLAM process If the water is still cloudy. How often are you testing?

Just test the FC and redose as often as possible to meet your SLAM process goal.

You don't end the SLAM process until the water is clear, the OCLT is 1ppm or less, and the CC test is no more than 05ppm.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Mr C4t
TDS is everythiing in your pool- salt, calcium, skin cells, chlorine, stabilizer...yada yada yada. The only way to get a TDS low is to fill and swim in distilled water. :mrgreen:
We don't worry about no stinkin' TDS

So do you backwash the filter??

No, no need for calcium. Waste of money for you.

I’m testing the FC in the morning, when I get home from work, and before bed.

I have been backwashing the filter whenever the PSI rises up 2 PSI. It has been about 3 or 4 times since opening. More frequently immediately after opening and brushing the pool.

Just an update. I added a third check at lunch.

Im getting just about 1ppm loss overnight, bringing back to 13 in the morning, lunch, after work, and before bed.

Water still cloudy with no clarity improvement.

Dolphin nautilus cc supreme coming back pretty clean after each run, so I feel like the bottom is cleaned up really well.

Can you take a picture- best over the stairs looking down into the shallow end, daily? And post them here so we can see?
Sometimes improvement is easier to see in pictures. And sometimes we see some reason if its not progressing.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.