Blue but Cloudy

melrumphius

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2019
Massachusetts
Hello, new to the forum but have had a pool for about thirty years/ Above ground, vinyl 24 ft round. using Taylor Complete FAS_DPD Chlorine kit to test and stopping by pool store once in a while to check their results to mine.
Here are my results:
CC 0.6
FC 0.6
pH 7.3
TA 140
Cyuranic Acid 86
Hardness 170
We have copper and iron in the water. I have test strips and this is verified by the pool store.
Filter had been running 24/7 since June 1.

I did a slam about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago using chlorox bleach. Definitely had algea prior to the slam. During the slam, it rained every day but I kept testing and keeping the chlorine high and adjusted for the Cyauranic acid being high. We also added Bioguard Algeacide and Sparkle Up
After the slam, when I would add either Borax or Muriatic acid, within minutes, white stuff that looked like wet tissues would come on the top of the pool and take an hour or so to disappear. The pool store said it was a resistant mold or algea and to add more algaecide.
I've also added Bioguard Mineral Magnet-about 8 bottles total since opening. We add Sparkle up periodically as well.
Last Tuesday, the pH was low so I added Borax and immediately the pool turned brown. I thought there was enough mineral magnet but I guess not!
On Thursday, I added 2 bottles of ascorbic acid per directions for my volume and then more Mineral Magnet. I added 4 cups Sparkle up to the filter. The pool was beautiful blue in less than 2 hours. All the stains were gone. I watched a video and it per that recommendation I've kept the CC around 1-2 since then. On Suday night we did a filter clean out.
The pool is magically now a beautiful blue but you can only see to about 6 inches from the bottom. It has rained off and on here since the beginning of June.
So, finally to my questions:
Does anyone know what the white tissue floating on top is? We have a sand filter so it's not DE and the pool store has no clue.
Second, how do I get rid of the white cloud in the pool without precipitating metals again?

I tried to be very thorough but may have forgotten some chemical additions. I've been so obsessed with this and would just like to get it cleared up and also stop spending time and money at the pool. Thanks, everyone in advance for your input!!

Welcome to the forum!

Any chance of bio films from your plumbing? You run quite a mix of chemicals, and maybe that helps create the biofilm.

The tests you show indicate very low FC and high CYA. Those need to be addressed.

Marty, thanks for ready my lengthy post. I'll keep vacuuming, brushing and backwashing. also, I'm thinking of ordering Ahhsome per other posts. Do you recommend this?
As far as the CYA, I'm only using bleach now and adding water daily to dilute. I don't want to empty the pool because then I'll have to deal with the metals again. I read there is about Bioactive CYAreducer. Do you think that's worth a try?
Thanks very much for your time,
Mary

They do make an Ahhsome for pools. Might be worth a try. Be sure to read the instructions to be sure it does not interfere with your metals issue.

Unless you are taking water out to refill with fresh water your CYA is not going anywhere.

The Bioactive does not work. There were some trials my members last year. No success.

Thanks again, I read some nightmare stories on amazon about bioactive so will stear clear of it. I'm replacing water daily and encouraging the kids to splash lots. I will only use bleach no trichlor or dichlor and with time hope that works. In the meantime, what taking into account the cya what FC target range would you suggest ?
Mary

If your CYA is 86, call it 90, multiply by .8 = 7.2 round up and add 2 = 10 as a target level and never go below 7.

Thats my quick and dirty formula, others will have different methods, but 10 will do just fine.

I've been using the range suggested above, using the cya chart and will keep targeting that. I've added water, too so as to bring cya down but realizing it will take time. I thought I would try a new pool store today because they supposedly carry Ahhsome per their website. They had never heard of it but that aside I will never, ever go there again. The woman rambled on and on about phosphates being high and how I needed to get them down because they were rendering my chlorine ineffective. Curiously, though I've been getting a consistent CYA with my Taylor kit about 80-90, and my usual pool store put me it at 86, the reading at this store as 186! No, idea how this could be as I've only been adding bleach. The clerk there told me not to worry as CYA will burn off in a couple of days! They next told me to let the chlorine go to zero, and then precipitate the metals with a pH of 8 and then add DE to get the metals out. I asked her what to do about the pool turning brown and staining the ladder and liner, she said we would deal with that later after the phosphates were fixed. I left! In the thirty years I've had a pool I never heard anyone mention phosphates being a problem or curing problems. Am I missing something? Oh by the way, the woman in front of me also had a phosphate problem and purchased $90 to fix it. Perhaps the only thing I'd be missing is money in my wallet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.