Blower breaker tripping

Feb 17, 2018
Houston/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We build back in 2018. Waterfall and spa blower share a 2-pole breaker. When I run the blower for the spa it’ll run for a few minutes (5-15) then the breaker trips. I wait a minute and reset the breaker and the breaker trios anywhere from 5-60 seconds later.

We isolated the waterfall by disconnecting the blower and it works fine.
I replaced the breaker (arc fault, $95 at Lowe’s) and still had the issue. Pool builder sent us a new blower motor and replaced it today... still having the breaker trip.

I changed relay positions of the wires and it still trips. So I’m down to probably the wiring or the motor or a jam in the air tube that runs to the hot tub.
All wiring connections were checked and look good. It’s in conduit so I doubt it was knicked. The motor was just replaced today so I’m guessing a jam in the tube.

removed the motor and the tube looks unobstructed. All 6 bubbler vents seem to put out the same amount of air. I did run the blower off the tube successfully for about 40 min. When I put it back on the tube it tripped after about 20 min.

mom at a loss. Can anyone offer their insight to what this could be from?
Thank you!

Look for a check valve in the blower line and make sure it is not broken or jammed.

What model blower?

Get a clamp on ammeter and measure the amps on the blower line.

Reactions: Nitramnayr
Look for a check valve in the blower line and make sure it is not broken or jammed.

What model blower?

Get a clamp on ammeter and measure the amps on the blower line.
Good call.
It’s a 1HP Air Supply blower. In the post/tube it sits on I can’t see a valve, and if there is one it’s gonna be buried under the decking. Would it hurt to run a plumbing snake through it into the vents where the air comes out?

Good call.
It’s a 1HP Air Supply blower. In the post/tube it sits on I can’t see a valve, and if there is one it’s gonna be buried under the decking. Would it hurt to run a plumbing snake through it into the vents where the air comes out?
Don't use a snake as that will destroy it for sure.

Drain the spa water down below the jet level so no water is in the jets. Run just the blower and see if it blows air out the nozzels without any back pressure from the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.