benhiers

Jul 20, 2011
Walmart has regular bleach and cleaning bleach. Cleaning bleach is almost a dollar a gallon cheaper. What’s the difference? I bought the cleaning bleach. They are both 6 percent.

Take a look at the major ingredient. It should be Sodium Hypochlorite. Other than some water and minimal sodium, nothing else. Usually their laundry section's "Great Value" (6%) is used, or sometimes the chlorine they keep in their pool section (Pool Essentials - 10% I believe).

I've searched all around in both Florida and the Northeast for the best value bleach sold by one gallon jugs. In Florida the best Iv'e found so far is Home Depot HDX Clorinating liquid #30128 that is 10% and is sold in packages of 3 gallons for $9.98 or $3.33 per gallon. When you look at cost and strength the Walmart options are more expensive than that. In the Northeast the best I've found is Diamond Clear Mega Shock that is 12.5% at Ocean State Job Lot normally $2.99 per gallon. Ocean State often puts that Diamond Clear on sale and that's the best buy I've ever seen at least for single gallon jugs. I know there are some stores that sell liquid chlorine in bulk but you need to move it with multi-gallon carboys; that might be a little less expensive but much less convenient.

Don't forget to keep an eye on expiration dates, or the dollar amounts and percentage amounts and savings fly right out the window. Now that I know to do that (thanks TFP!), my local Lowes' MO became "shock"ingly clear to me. I could clearly see the 2018 stock vs the 2017 stock, and noticed they were just refilling the pallet by stacking the 2018 stock on top of the 2017. Which means whenever they get low on stock (like when it heats up this summer), customers not in the know will be hauling off older and older chlorine the lower the pallet gets!

The older the stock, the more you'll need to use, the more it'll cost to sanitize your pool!

Don't forget to keep an eye on expiration dates, or the dollar amounts and percentage amounts and savings fly right out the window. Now that I know to do that (thanks TFP!), my local Lowes' MO became "shock"ingly clear to me. I could clearly see the 2018 stock vs the 2017 stock, and noticed they were just refilling the pallet by stacking the 2018 stock on top of the 2017. Which means whenever they get low on stock (like when it heats up this summer), customers not in the know will be hauling off older and older chlorine the lower the pallet gets!

The older the stock, the more you'll need to use, the more it'll cost to sanitize your pool!

Understood, and the higher the concentration the quicker it deteriorates so that should be taken into account also.

Understood, and the higher the concentration the quicker it deteriorates so that should be taken into account also.

I did not know that. I also learned here that the expiration date isn't even the whole picture. It has a lot more to do with where the chlorine is stored, and where it's been stored. A pallet of chlorine that was left on a loading dock somewhere for a few days in the hot sun is going to be a lot worse off than one that is months older but has been kept cooler. So you never really know what you're getting.

I sometimes buy my chlorine at Leslie's, taking advantage of the coupons they bombard my inbox with, on the fantasy assumption that they go through stock faster than my Lowe's does, and so might likely have fresher stuff. And they don't have a loading dock, or outdoor pool department, so at least once it's delivered it's stored properly. But, again, I don't really know that.

Point was... in addition to price, you also have to shop with the quality of the handling of the product in mind...

Yet another reason to test your water yourself, often, and not rely on calculators or pool guys or suppliers, who ignore such things.

Also a plug for an SWG. Overall cost compared to chlorine is pretty much the same. Eight months out of the year I won't have to think about chlorine, let alone shop for it. And it's absolutely the freshest chlorine in town!! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.