Bleach vs Easy Pour bleach

I think what he is getting at is liquid chlorine is twice as strong so you only use and therefore dissolve half the chemicals.
Not sure about the twice as old part but have read some of his posts before that seemed spot on.
Maybe we would all be better off if nobody shopped at Walmart at all. ( not looking for a big debate here. If you shop there you probably find it to be a guilty pleasure.)
I'd personally rather support a mom and pop type pool store for what I already know I need than a place like Leslie's and would never set foot in a walmart.
That's just me though.

I am with you on the Walmart thing. I hate that place. I use the local pool store for my necessary chemicals, like MA and I do occasionally buy 12.5% LC. There as to not have to crank up my swg during the hot summer high use months.

It is not any more expensive for me to buy LC from a locally owned pool store than twice the amount of bleach from WallyWorld.

Maybe I am getting a slight (10%??) discount because I send a lot of concerts in there to buy it in bulk. They don't "pool store" my referrals and I get a slightly ok deal. Works for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just figure I will quote chem geek from another thread to address the reason why some of us prefer to buy 8.25% or even 6% bleach:

As shown in the chart at the bottom of this page, bleach at 6% is going to last quite a while if kept at room temperature with it's half-life extending well beyond 2 years. Even high-quality chlorinating liquid kept at room temperature is going to be reasonable at 3-6 months, but if temps get warmer such as storing the chlorine outside in a shed, then the chlorine will degrade much more rapidly. Basically, 6% bleach lasts around 4 times longer than 12.5% chlorinating liquid, all else equal.

In practice, 10-12.5% chlorinating liquid is something you want to use within 3 months if you can and you don't try and store it for a year unless you keep it quite cool. Bleach can be stored and used even after 1 year if kept at room temperature. This all assumes high-quality product as the rate of degradation becomes much faster than shown in the table if there are metal ion impurities present such as iron, copper, cobalt, zinc, etc.

In summary, 12.5% degrades faster than 8.25%, which degrades faster than 6%.

Update. I did dump about 2 bottles in before I realized the difference. The bottle doesn't say splashless which is what got me. I never got foam but it did have a few bubbles. Its been running fine ever since though. Should I worry about the soap or do you think it will eventually evaporate and dilute enough to not be of any harm?

Update. I did dump about 2 bottles in before I realized the difference. The bottle doesn't say splashless which is what got me. I never got foam but it did have a few bubbles. Its been running fine ever since though. Should I worry about the soap or do you think it will eventually evaporate and dilute enough to not be of any harm?
It will get oxidized by the good bleach. Don't worry about it. You're not the first nor the last to do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
off topic now, but how do you use it fast enough before it essentially becomes 10% bleach?

As shown in this post, if you keep the chlorinating liquid away from warmer temperature then it can last longer. I buy mine one case at a time and I use it up over one month so at 70ºF it would go from 12.5% down to 11.1% which isn't too bad. Also, the chlorinating liquid is brought in to the pool store every few days and when fresh it's more than 12.5%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.