BLEACH SHORTAGE

Larry65

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2012
Kentucky
With the Covid 19 pandemic, bleach has become an elusive purchase. I have been using trouble free pool past seven years and have had excellent results with bleach. However, I am no longer able to find enough bleach to work my pool. My first option would be to use Sams Club chemicals. Two questions: 1) Will TFP testing work with these chemicals (In the past, the cyanuric acid buildup seems to have clouded the water; and 2) any suggestions other than Sams products?

Regardless of where you get chemicals, it all boils-down to their ingredients. Many large "box stores" sell pre-packaged items ad various pool industry products that aren't always good for the water. But when it comes to chlorine specifically, you ideally want liquid chlorine. If you get Sam's bleach, just make sure it's plan or regular. Never use anything splashless or scented. Walmart, Lowe's, and Home Depot also have chlorine and muriatic acid that is the staple of many pools.

I don't know what products Sam's Club offers - do you have any links? Then we could look at it.

Do you have any hardware stores near you? They sell 10% "liquid shock", "liquid chlorine", or "chlorinating liquid" at Ace Harware, Menards, etc. Home Depot, Walmart, Lowe's all have it as well (though stock is sporadic). You can also check with local pool stores for liquid shock - usually 12.5%. The local one here is competitive with the big box stores on prices when you buy 4 at a time.

Home Depot’s web site will also tell you if any nearby stores have chlorinating liquid in stock, and how many they have. Doesn’t mean they’ll have any, but it may save you from driving around to a bunch of different locations.

The HD by me in Houston, Texas, limits the purchase of liquid chlorine. I can’t remember the number, but it’s pretty low, especially for the volume that a pool owner needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.