Bleach Prices 2015

If one dilutes chlorinating liquid one has to do so using metal-free water. The smallest amounts of trace metals such as iron, copper, cobalt, nickel, or zinc can lead to much faster degradation. So you have to figure in the cost of using distilled or deionized water or water where all trace metals have been removed. If you use buffered water even with metals removed, you need to adjust the pH higher. 12.5% chlorinating liquid has excess lye to get it to around 12.5 in pH. 6% and 8.25% bleach has excess lye to get the pH to around 11.9. If you use distilled or deionized water (i.e. unbuffered water) then the pH will not change dramatically and you won't be introducing any metals.

Interesting point. Thank you. Would a bit of EDTA take care of the metals? I run a laboratory and could order a bottle. Or I could do the RO/DI route. Or I could leave it concentrated and take the hit on degradation. Even the 12.5% is near 8% after 5 months at 70° F according to your chart.

Man, I only spend approx $150 per season (say 26 weeks at 32oz. per day) just buying 121oz 8.25 jugs. Lately 24oz seems to be holding fc at 4-5% (still 90 out). Just wish there was a place around Austin that I could buy 2.5g jugs, would make filling my 15g Stenner tank faster.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Man, I only spend approx $150 per season (say 26 weeks at 32oz. per day) just buying 121oz 8.25 jugs. Lately 24oz seems to be holding fc at 4-5% (still 90 out). Just wish there was a place around Austin that I could buy 2.5g jugs, would make filling my 15g Stenner tank faster.

I know. I'm beginning to understand the challenge of having a larger pool. Using TFPC means adding a lot of bleach. Being able to buy in bulk is only for convenience, not a cost savings. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread as the goal of this thread is the least expensive bleach.

How long can you go on your 15g Stenner tank between refills?

I know. I'm beginning to understand the challenge of having a larger pool. Using TFPC means adding a lot of bleach. Being able to buy in bulk is only for convenience, not a cost savings. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread as the goal of this thread is the least expensive bleach.

How long can you go on your 15g Stenner tank between refills?
I only fill it to 10g, so 10/1qt = 40 days. Pool is only 15k gallons, 50% shaded. I typically top it every 2 weeks.

The OSJL in Gales Ferry, CT can fit their supply of 12.5% cases on 2 pallets. That means they are done ordering for the season. Get it while you can for $11.96/case. I bought 2 cases but thinking about going back for another to complete my season-end SLAM. All depends on when my Dad is able to come down and help close up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried Ace Hardware here in the DFW area today (Grand Prairie) and it was $5.99 per gallon of 10% HTH Liquid Chlorine.

I then called 3 different pool supply stores/companies and all told me I won't find liquid chlorine in Texas. 2 of those companies claimed it wasn't allowed to be sold and then tried to tell me how bad liquid chlorine (bleach) is for my pool and how careful I need to be of the other additives in it compared to their pure granular chlorine. They were surprised when I told them it was indeed carried locally and I didn't want to raise the cyanuric acid or calcium and that I had been using Bleach but was hoping for a more potent %.

So I then went to Sams like usual and bought several cases of Chlorox 8.25%. It was $8.62 for 3 121oz jugs which is normal.

I tried Ace Hardware here in the DFW area today (Grand Prairie) and it was $5.99 per gallon of 10% HTH Liquid Chlorine.

I then called 3 different pool supply stores/companies and all told me I won't find liquid chlorine in Texas. 2 of those companies claimed it wasn't allowed to be sold and then tried to tell me how bad liquid chlorine (bleach) is for my pool and how careful I need to be of the other additives in it compared to their pure granular chlorine. They were surprised when I told them it was indeed carried locally and I didn't want to raise the cyanuric acid or calcium and that I had been using Bleach but was hoping for a more potent %.

So I then went to Sams like usual and bought several cases of Chlorox 8.25%. It was $8.62 for 3 121oz jugs which is normal.

Try WalMart, 2gal, 10% for $6.49 in Tucson

Found at Dollar Tree. Pool Math tests to 5+%
ddb4dc7d3d803e55d878a6389b49adfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some that tested to 1-2%. Target 8.25 works best for me and seems reliable. They seem to have good turn over.

Yep. Liquid chlorine is so rare that Tom Thumb has it in their pool section. :D I am with you. I buy the 3 jug at Sam's club. It works great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.