CapMReynolds

Aug 17, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Mods - please move this thread if it's not in the right spot.

I have not been in a good place in the last year and left my pool in an icky situation - algae world. Last year chemicals was too much and i tried to keep the the pool clear but by the middle of summer (in AZ -- that's 100-110o+ territory) I couldn't prevent the pool from turning (something was eating the chorine) and I ran out of money. The last few months, ducks and ducklings have enjoyed the pool more than we have this season. haha

I am looking to try to restore the pool and when I was talking to my normal pool people here and they said because I have left the pool for basically 10 months, that I should do a bleach wash (and acid wash for stains) but when I called their service they said that they don't do it now because it may cause cracks if they do it and won't do it until the fall. (Personally I'm thinking they don't want to do it in the heat...)

However, is this true? If so, what would cause the cracks? If not, I would be planning to do it during the early morning/late evening when it's cooler.

If I am able to do it, what exactly would I need to do? I assume after draining the pool, I will need to (from what the pool people said) pour bleach on the walls to kill the remaining algae and scrub the walls, then after a while, clean the same way with the acid wash. I suspect I would need to change my sand too, which I was planning on doing anyways as it's been about 5 years since I have done it.

Am I on the right track? Any information would be appreciated and a couple of kiddos will be happy :)

Couriant

If you are looking for the least expensive way to care for your pool, you have come to the right place especially if you have a pool service. You will find that pool services, pool stores, etc. are after your $ and the best person to care for your pool.

I would not recommend and drain and bleach/acid wash. Bleach is a good thing and kills algae, but the acid wash will also remove part of your plaster and shrorten the life of your plaster (assume you have plaster since you mentioned cracking).

We can get most pools back on track with a process called a SLAM, but to do that you need a quality test kit. Check these out and see if they are right for you and if so, let us help you get your pool back on track in a few weeks for a lot less $ than anyone will charge.

Reactions: reggiehammond
Yes, it is plaster (about 25K Gallon), and I haven't been filling the pool (have to manually do it). Thank you for letting me know about the acid wash. I hope I don't have lasting stains...

I will get that kit with the smart stir. There are other options, would i need to get those as well? (didn't include the salt strips as I assume I don't need it)

1687141355604.png

if we can get this pool ready before I leave for my vacation (july) I would be forever in your debt. :)

Have any photos?

My pool was left untouched for 2 years when I bought my house...it was a swamp. Literally 2ft of leaves at the bottom and green as can be. A little elbow grease and these methods will get you there.

Reactions: Newdude
I'd recommend you get the pool up and running and enjoy the pool as with some stains and discoloration. The not acid washing wasn't that it's too hot for them to work but rather to spare your plaster from further degrading by it being exposed to the Arizona heat.

Have any photos?

My pool was left untouched for 2 years when I bought my house...it was a swamp. Literally 2ft of leaves at the bottom and green as can be. A little elbow grease and these methods will get you there.
I will take some tomorrow when it’s bright :)

My concern would be discoloration, but someone at Leslie’s that I could rub a pool tab… sounds a little weird.

I am also concerned that there may be a little duckie sunk in the pool. There were two and I found one dead on the steps (I tried to make a makeshift ramp but failed) and the adult ducks were nowhere to be found.

Here are the photos that was requested. I will be out of town the first week of July so I’m sure that fixing this mess will take longer so I am planning on doing this after that.DBDA5BA4-19F9-42EB-847E-4E0BFE42A7A3.jpeg41D5ECB7-4790-43F2-B3FB-A02FCEB4BFB0.jpeg9441CABE-A0FE-4E97-9A99-BC4DBC177BB7.jpegCA3ADB2B-A4E5-4A69-8D36-E123D7CDE981.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes...That'll take some bleach...

I understand about being out of town in July, but the faster you fill it up and get the pump running, the quicker you'll be back to enjoying it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m still waiting for the test kits. So I should fill back up in the mean time, and get going with bleach? If so powered or liquid?
Remove as much crud as you can and fill it up. Liquid bleach always, unless your calcium hardness is low, then you can use cal-hypo until your calcium is where you want it.

Cool. I will do as much as I can… shudder to think what’s on the bottom. I do know my net broke so it will be tough to skim. As to the hardness, I’m pretty sure it’s always been on the high end due to the water here.

I paid for the sub on the app. I was wondering about these options and what should I use.

1687491310138.jpeg

update: Well I didn't realize I didn't hit submit... and now I am going to have to wait until the smart stir is in stock :/

I have got rid of most of the crud off the walls and steps and starting to fill the pool up again since Phoenix is getting close to 120o here.. Don't want to leave the walls exposed any longer..

As to chlorine, is there a specific brand or % value I should get? I do have chlorinating tabs, but need to get shock as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.