Black stains just keep getting worse

So I drained the water down to the shelf again to expose some of the stains and treat them again. After soaking in LC all day yesterday the stains are disappearing again. I cannot get any residue or anything when scraping at these

Attachments

• 5B74BD19-2A99-45C6-8409-D4A7664B5588.jpeg
    5B74BD19-2A99-45C6-8409-D4A7664B5588.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 24381A73-AE34-4443-9AB2-FB09491C34C4.jpeg
    24381A73-AE34-4443-9AB2-FB09491C34C4.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4B45B481-D789-426D-A7A3-D760DBEE736A.jpeg
    4B45B481-D789-426D-A7A3-D760DBEE736A.jpeg
    706.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 6D1A8CCE-D602-419C-89A6-EF165CCDBF64.jpeg
    6D1A8CCE-D602-419C-89A6-EF165CCDBF64.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
So I drained the water down to the shelf again to expose some of the stains and treat them again. After soaking in LC all day yesterday the stains are disappearing again. I cannot get any residue or anything when scraping at thrse
LC being effective points to the stains being organic and likely black algae roots in your plaster.

How old is your plaster?

You may have this occuring until you replaster the pool.

LC being effective points to the stains being organic and likely black algae roots in your plaster.

How old is your plaster?

You may have this occuring until you replaster the pool.
Plaster was new in 2017 so about five and a half years. I want to believe it’s algae but never once been able to get a color off these stains and everything I read says I should get green or black residue. I am afraid it will keep occurring which is really disappointing.
I had a pool guy come by and guarantee me they were organic stains… I just don’t get why I don’t get any residue when I scrape or pick at them
I don't think that it is black algae, but I don't know exactly what it is.

Have you tried sulfamic acid?

Have you done a copper test?
I have tried sulfamic acid, I even did the jacks treatment and it made almost no difference from what I can tell.. all my copper tests are low and I’ve never added any weird chemicals.

Your cartridges don't show blue/turquoise, which would indicate copper.

It might be a metal, but I really don't know what it is.

Maybe silver?

full

full

Maybe @onBalance will have some ideas?

I’m still of the opinion you’re running your maintenance level of chlorine too low for your CYA.
I’ve had it in alignment with the chart or much higher since I cleaned these stains last time. That said, I’m gonna let these soak for another day or two and then run the FC levels at like 20 for a few weeks to cook these stains.

I think we should consider that there might have been some bad (contaminated) plaster in the original plaster mix. I would also think that the plaster surface has etched significantly after all of the chemical treatments so far. Probably should have notified the plastering contractor about this discoloration in the beginning.
At this point, I suggest power sanding the top shelf to smooth the surface and perhaps might remove the discoloration. However, the contaminated plaster might be rather deep and impossible to remove.

Reactions: JamesW
I think we should consider that there might have been some bad (contaminated) plaster in the original plaster mix. I would also think that the plaster surface has etched significantly after all of the chemical treatments so far. Probably should have notified the plastering contractor about this discoloration in the beginning.
At this point, I suggest power sanding the top shelf to smooth the surface and perhaps might remove the discoloration. However, the contaminated plaster might be rather deep and impossible to remove.
Interesting. I actually thought about taking some coarse sandpaper to the stains to see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.