Black Spots (algae?) - need help

Jul 16, 2015
Lindale, TX
I've got a 17,000 in ground vinyl pool. Around May I noticed a few black spots (looked like streaks) in the pool - I thought the pool cleaner drug something around that stained the pool. When I checked my water, my ph was really high (probably close to 8). I added muratic acid to lower ph and continued to add liquid chlorine. I haven't been religious in testing my pool and keeping levels where they should be. My CYA was coming up almost none so I added 4 lbs. The black spot has grown and spread. I did put a puck on the black spot and after leaving it on there overnight, you can see where the puck was (pic attached). My wife took water and a pic to the pool store about two weeks ago - they thought it was black algae and suggested shocking (using cal hypo), adding a couple bottles of black algaetrine and said the CYA was low so they sold us 5 lbs of stabilizer. My ph was also high again so I added more muratic to get it from 7.8 down to 7.2. We added everything and I started monitoring the ph and chlorine closer. my ph seems to keep rising. Since opening the pool in May I have added probably 2 gallons of muratic. Before adding the stabilizer they sold us, I tested and I also showed our CYA was very low - below 30.

So we've been brushing the pool 3 x a day and adding about 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine daily (we were out of town over the 4th so my sister in law was doing it - she didn't test the water, just added a gallon in the am, at lunch and in the pm). The spot doesn't seem to be going away - it seems like it has spread to new places. I know black algae is supposed to be very unusual in vinyl pools, but I can't figure out what it is if it isn't that. We do have a black liner.

Latest tests are:
CYA - 50
FC - 18
ph - 7.6 (ph really keeps going up and down) - when we got back in town it was around 7.4 and the next morning it was 7.8.

We have had a lot of rain this year.
The attached pics were taken last night - there is a tree reflection in the water, but hopefully you can see what the spots look like. One pic has the puck spot circled, another one is a close up of that spot.

Help appreciated -
Pool 1.jpg

pool 2.jpg

pool 3.jpg

pool 4_LI.jpg

pool 5.jpg

Cory

Reactions: JamesW
You have a great test kit. Use it. You added a product that is "Contains 3.07% active copper ". Not good.

Read this to see if you really have black algae -- it does not look like it.

pH test is inaccurate when FC is above 10. Don’t bother testing or adjusting the pH during the SLAM Process. Just test FC and CC.

SLAM Process FC level for CYA 50 is 20.

What are your CC? You do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?
Should I drop FC below 10 and test to make sure I haven't completely screwed up the pH?

Haven't tested CC - will have to check when I get home tonight.

Cory

You have a great test kit. Use it. You added a product that is "Contains 3.07% active copper ". Not good.

Read this to see if you really have black algae -- it does not look like it.
If it isn't black algae - what do you think it is and how do I get rid of it?

re: copper - a quick search makes it seem like the only way to remove it is by draining?

Cory

When the FC level drops the pH level will drop. Have you had your well water tested for iron content? You may have some organic staining since it reacts well to the chlorine puck. Does the stain feel slippery?

Looks like copper. You're probably going to need to replace the liner to get it fixed.

Jack's #2 copper and scale stuff might clean it, but the copper would still be in the water.

What's the clean line?

Did you own the pool when the current liner was installed?

Looks like copper. You're probably going to need to replace the liner to get it fixed.

Jack's #2 copper and scale stuff might clean it, but the copper would still be in the water.

What's the clean line?

Did you own the pool when the current liner was installed?
We had the liner installed last season :-(

The clean line in the pics? That is where one piece of the liner overlaps with the other, I think.

Cory

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.