Black Algae, Wire Brush, New Plaster

I'm brushing no less than once a day, usually twice.

I'm thinking about running the OCLT on recirculate to isolate any contaminates in the filter. I just micro inspected the entire pool with the wire brush, snorkel and mask three times around. I can not find any BA.

I could also use some thoughts from someone about adding DE to the filter. My PSI increased by 1 with only a 1/4 cup awhile ago when it supposedly takes much more to raise it that high.

This might be a dumb question, but could the quality of the chlorine be the problem? This seems there is something out of the ordinary or do heavily used pools require this much chlorine? And why no CYA readings, are these at the right levels for the pool?

OK so tonight's reading is FC 22 (using a 5ml sample). I turned off the SWG, added a gallon of 12.5% bleach through skimmer #1 to flood the sand filter and shut off the pump. I switched to recirculate and turned it back on. The pool is closed. I'll check the reading again to start the OCLT in about 45 minutes.

TFP Reminder to future readers - bleach is to be added slowly in front of the water jetting out of the return pointed at the deep end. Skimmer additions are not suggested. Original Poster accepts some elevated risk of equipment corrosion due to the relatively undiluted bleach, but is doing exactly what they wish to do. We instead suggest deep cleaning sand filters if problems are suspected.

Good luck on the OCLT!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning's reading is as follows.

FC 22 (using a 5ml sample)

I changed recirculate to backwash, then rinse, and filter. SWG is on at 100%.
I added a quart of MA.

So we can't say there isn't still something in the sand filter, but apparently something in that pool ate up some chlorine last night. The sad part is, I can't 100% rule out someone or something being in the pool during the OCLT.

Someone please tell me how this is possible with the FC levels I'm maintaining. Why do I still have a problem after nine days of elevated chlorine levels???

This morning's reading is as follows.

FC 22 (using a 5ml sample)

I changed recirculate to backwash, then rinse, and filter. SWG is on at 100%.
I added a quart of MA.

So we can't say there isn't still something in the sand filter, but apparently something in that pool ate up some chlorine last night. The sad part is, I can't 100% rule out someone or something being in the pool during the OCLT.

Someone please tell me how this is possible with the FC levels I'm maintaining. Why do I still have a problem after nine days of elevated chlorine levels???

Can you put up a game camera that snaps photos if it detects any movement in the pool? I can't tell you home many times I've swam in a pool at 3 AM with a bunch of friends and beers.

Is there anyway to close the pool, put up signs and lock the gates? A lifetime ago I lived in an apartment complex and I remembering swimming a few times in the middle of the night. Maybe have a sign saying the the pool is being treated and that swimming is prohibited and can cause irritation?

I would also do a deep clean of the filter just in case. I'm sure a lot of pool visitors use a lot of suntan lotion. Most folks don't rinse off before they jump in the pool. All of that lotion has to go somewhere and it needs to be oxidized by chlorine.

Thanks for all the input y'all!

Karen I'm sure a deep clean of the sand filter never hurts but it is after all only five months old and I did take it out of the equation last night when I bypassed the filter on recirculate.

I do have a couple trail cams. I guess I'm going to put one up and do an OCLT on a bucket of pool water. I will be totally shocked to find chlorine loss in the bucket overnight after all the chlorine I've added, but it's starting to look like I will.

FC 18 (I added a gallon of 12.5% bleach).
CYA 60??? Part of the problem in accurately reading my CYA is seeing my reflection in the water sample. (yes waist high, yes back to the sun, yes glancing)

Oh yeah, nine days without testing pH does not make me feel very comfortable. A friend's silver turned black yesterday so I added that MA previously noted this morning.

Reading is as follows.

FC 16 (using a 5ml sample)

I added a gallon of 12.5%.

Am I spinning my wheels by letting the FC fall to 16???

With a FC of just 16, you need to test and adjust your FC more often. Anytime your FC goes below 24 you loose ground to the algae as it reproduces.

If you are still having doubts about your CYA level, you can order a CYA standard solution that indicates a CYA of 50. This way you know how the dot should or shouldn't look. TFTestkits.net

Potential path for consideration: (thoughts?)
1. Order CYA standard and any needed testing chems
2. Given your pool's fast FC loss and high PH rise - perhaps off SWG and pause bleach to let FC fall until under 10
3. stock up on a fresh source of bleach (golf cart pool store or another if needed/megamart) and store indoors in cool+dark
4. Once FC us under 10, adjust PH, re-test to confirm
5. SLAM, testing/adding every 30 mins until FC is the same 30 mins later, then 60 mins until it is the same, then 90, 120, etc until you've passed OCLT

on backwash cycle - especially important given commercial pool to off/backwash 2mins or until clear/off/rinse 30s or until clear/off/backwash again 30s or until clear/off/rinse again 30s or until clear/off/filter the repeated bw+r is amazingly helpful in a proper cleaning

- - - Updated - - -

exciting!!! the bucket v pool rivalry is renewed for something other than leak detection! exciting!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.