Black algae treatment with Super shock

Mar 12, 2013
Hi,

I am currently battling confirmed black algae. My pool levels have always been in accordance with trouble free saltwater generator guidelines, tested weekly with Taylor k-2006 test kit. I initially lowered ph to 7.2 and added super shock powder to 25 and have brushed down entire pebble tec with steel brush twice. (I now know to not use powder). I will switch tomorrow to liquid chlorine. My ph is now off the scale >8. Do I lower the ph again to 7.2 or is this a result of using super shock? Thinking maybe the product is messing with the teat of ph.

Thanks,
Carey

P.S. wouldn’t wish black algae on my worst enemy. ;(

Can you share all your latest test results?
Have you read this guide?
👇
Also, do you have any pics?

pH test is invalid with FC >10

What is in this "super shock powder"?
It is a product I bought at a pool store, made by Suncoast. It is 60 % Calcium Hypochlorite and 40% "Other". I bought and used this before reading the thread about treating black algae. I now understand it was the wrong way to go. Just wondering about how to proceed particularly about the big change in ph.

Thanks for your response.

👇
I did not take any pictures of the algae, and I have since scrubbed almost all of the noticeable specks intermingled with my pebble tec. Unfortunately my pool surface has black pebbles in the design. I did scrape some off the steps and did the smear test and it definitely looks to be black algae.
👇
Before this started:
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.0
Ph: 7.6
CH: 400
TA: 80
CYA: 50 (low) Don't want to raise until this is over
Temp: 84

I have now read the guide, and will follow it to the letter. My main question was answered above concerning the ph with such high fc levels.

Thanks!

The cal hypo likely didn’t raise your ph - as mentioned above the ph test reads inaccurately above 10ppm fc. Generally it reads falsely high. Don’t adjust ph until fc is 10ppm or lower or else you risk over correcting. As mentioned in the article- SLAM Process level fc isn’t really the answer for black algae. Anywhere between high target & slam level for your cya is sufficient. FC/CYA Levels
Some people have had luck putting liquid chlorine in a pump sprayer & applying it directly to the worst affected areas before scrubbing them. The scrubbing is the heavy lifter.

If your pebble tec is in good condition it may not be as much of a bear to deal with as someone with an eroding finish that has more areas for the “roots”to attach themselves. There are several threads here on various methods like the liquid chlorine in the pump sprayer, carefully pressure washing with a gentle tip, & rubbing the area with a trichlor puck (if its just a small amount) but be mindful not to harm your finish .
Filling out your signature helps you get the most tailored advice when issues arise.
Also “sharing” PoolMath logs in the settings if you keep them on there.

The cal hypo likely didn’t raise your ph - as mentioned above the ph test reads inaccurately above 10ppm fc. Generally it reads falsely high. Don’t adjust ph until fc is 10ppm or lower or else you risk over correcting. As mentioned in the article- SLAM Process level fc isn’t really the answer for black algae. Anywhere between high target & slam level for your cya is sufficient. FC/CYA Levels
Some people have had luck putting liquid chlorine in a pump sprayer & applying it directly to the worst affected areas before scrubbing them. The scrubbing is the heavy lifter.
Thank you for your replies. Will follow the guide from this point, and yes scrubbing is the BIG deal. My shoulders will confirm that. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
CalHypo will raise your CH. Given your CH was 400 prior to adding the CalHypo, the CH is now higher than 400.

Fill out your account details - lots more info to be added there than was available in 2013 when you initially joined.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help without having to ask for this info each time.
Look at my signature and others for inspiration.

Reactions: Mdragger88
CalHypo will raise your CH. Given your CH was 400 prior to adding the CalHypo, the CH is now higher than 400.

Fill out your account details - lots more info to be added there than was available in 2013 when you initially joined.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help without having to ask for this info each time.
Look at my signature and others for inspiration.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to deal with the CH after this is over. I am done using CalHypo. I will be using liquid chlorine from now on. I will also enter in my info as soon as possible.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.