Black Algae Invasion

Thanks to everyone I am now the pool boy. LoL. My wife did say something why I spent so much money on pool related items: tf -100 refills, LC, CYA 50 pounds, speed stir, brushes, nets, goggles, sprayer, ear plugs, bamboo picks, pH reader (plan on returning- just going to deal with guessing if the different colors), etc.

BA is still present but it is going to take some time to fully disappear.
I'm glad she didn't side step you and bring in outside help that's not really helpful. Just keep at it and I'm sure in time, it'll dissipate.

Update: 05/11/23
Black algea disappeared last year, but came back with a vengeance this year. This year it seems the plaster is coming off in some areas and it looks like there are now some pores in the plaster. Looks like the BA appears to have ingrained itself in the pores so brushing is helping but harder than ever to remove. Also, there are black individual black spots that might be caused by lawn fertilization? Atleast that’s what google said.

So I bought a tf-100 refill and brought the chemicals to slam:

CYA: 30
FC: 12

I then went to work on the pool with brushing and keeping FC at 12. It’s been about a week and I did an overnight test. Results:

FC stayed the same
CC: 0

The ingrained BA is still visible. Can I stop SLAM? Can I jump in the pool now ? Today I rubbed a chlorine tablet on the BA spots. I am thinking about jumping the pool and poking BA with wooden picks. Any other thing I can do? I am also going to spray Chlorine directly to the BA spot.

On a side note my wife got a pool replastering quote from a reputable company and they are asking $5.5k to replaster 105LF plus $3k changing the tile, and $800 for new LED light. Is this reasonable price ?

Thank you.

I just realized I messed up, I need to turn off my salt generator. 😞

Last edited:
Update: 05/11/23
Black algea disappeared last year, but came back with a vengeance this year. This year it seems the plaster is coming off in some areas and it looks like there are now some pores in the plaster. Looks like the BA appears to have ingrained itself in the pores so brushing is helping but harder than ever to remove. Also, there are black individual black spots that might be caused by lawn fertilization? Atleast that’s what google said.

So I bought a tf-100 refill and brought the chemicals to slam:

CYA: 30
FC: 12

I then went to work on the pool with brushing and keeping FC at 12. It’s been about a week and I did an overnight test. Results:

FC stayed the same
CC: 0

The ingrained BA is still visible. Can I stop SLAM? Can I jump in the pool now ? Today I rubbed a chlorine tablet on the BA spots. I am thinking about jumping the pool and poking BA with wooden picks. Any other thing I can do? I am also going to spray Chlorine directly to the BA spot.

On a side note my wife got a pool replastering quote from a reputable company and they are asking $5.5k to replaster 105LF plus $3k changing the tile, and $800 for new LED light. Is this reasonable price ?

Thank you.

I just realized I messed up, I need to turn off my salt generator. 😞
My plaster has some soft pitted spots with embedded algae in them so it’s possible the plaster could just be worn.

I’d write that check and give them a tip if I got a quote like that. My quote have been twice yours.

My plaster has some soft pitted spots with embedded algae in them so it’s possible the plaster could just be worn.

I’d write that check and give them a tip if I got a quote like that. My quote have been twice yours.
When did you know it was time to get the pool replastered ? Also, what should the plaster company do at the BA spots ? Thanks.

When did you know it was time to get the pool replastered ? Also, what should the plaster company do at the BA spots ? Thanks.
When I clean out the pit with the green/black in it the soft plaster is gone and I can see down to the gunite. With no plaster there it’s a given that new plaster needs to be put back.

If yours is just a few spots and relatively new, then maybe it can be patched. Mine has hundreds of spots like that now and is 20+ years old.

When I clean out the pit with the green/black in it the soft plaster is gone and I can see down to the gunite. With no plaster there it’s a given that new plaster needs to be put back.

If yours is just a few spots and relatively new, then maybe it can be patched. Mine has hundreds of spots like that now and is 20+ years old.
I have about 4 small spots where it looks black not BA probably the concrete where plaster gone. The rest of the spots are BA ingrained in plaster pores ( have about 15 spots). I am not sure how old the plaster is, I’ve had the house for about 10 years.

I have about 4 small spots where it looks black not BA probably the concrete where plaster gone. The rest of the spots are BA ingrained in plaster pores ( have about 15 spots). I am not sure how old the plaster is, I’ve had the house for about 10 years.
Check the plaster pores where the algae is and see if it’s soft. If it is, those may be on their way to the worn down spots.

Signs of delaminating of the plaster that expose the Gunite would be one sign.
When a pool finish is to be replaced the old plaster will be completely removed and the black algae will be removed with it.
If patching is only needed this product works well.IMG_3974.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How hard is it to patch by someone who is not that handy ? Can I plaster over some of the BA spots that have ingrained themselves over the plaster to make it look better? I have a party in a month( just to buy me time ). I see that it can be applied underwater.

I just looked at the quote I received and subcontractor only includes 20% of old plaster removal.

Your goal for plaster removal is 100% if you want the best adhesiveness between the new plaster and Gunite shell.
Ideally you want all the BA removed prior to the application of the patch.
The product itself is easy to work with.View attachment 491034
The subcontractor said he was going to remove the BA areas and acid wash,
But it sounds like that is not enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.